Civil War Entrenchment Question

guitarplaya39

Mar 2, 2018
RVA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still very new to metal detecting and relic hunting and had a couple questions about hunting Civil War trench sites.
I'm sure these are very generic or "it depends" questions, but I'd like to see where folks here usually have luck.

Are more relics usually found in the trenches themselves, or in the surrounding areas?
I recently had the chance to hunt a small section which I believe are relatively untouched, but only searched the trench and came up empty handed. I guess something else to consider is, according to the maps and research I've done, this particular section of entrenchments didn't see any battle action.

How deep are the relics usually buried?
The places where I have access are covered in very thick layers of leaves. I usually lightly rake the coil through the top layer of dry leaves, but the thick mat of wet leaves below is a real nuisance.

Thanks for the advice!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may think they have never been hunted, but more than likely they have, and many times.
The few on private land that I have hunted have not produced much. I did get lucky and found a Cannon ball once and it was 18+ inches and I was digging every single I would get.
Try to hunt all the flat spots behind and around the breast works. Any spots where solider may have gathered.
Maybe you could dig deep in the trench and shift it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If something is in a trench, it may be 3 feet or more underground due to erosion filling in the trench over time, and most have been detected, some seriously dug out. I would try flat areas around it and any slopes away from it subject to erosion taking material off the top of the trench.

OP
OP
G

guitarplaya39

Mar 2, 2018
RVA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input! Makes sense to me. Now for the challenge of finding camps that haven't been built over lol

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The very secluded remains of this structure might be civil war related.I'm hitting it w/MD w/in the next week. Depending on weather .
2010_1113Mttohuntdeer4th0010.JPG

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A lot of times reserve troops were brought up and were placed in behind entrenchments. Look at widespread areas and flat areas as mentioned before. Think as the troops thought, "would this be an area suitable for camping?" also figure if the entrenchments were being pounded by artillery, figure on overshot shells landing in behind the breast works. Best of Luck to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions