glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this John Deere plow share recently .It says John Deere Syracuse on the front .The Syracuse Chilled Plow Co. was started in 1876 and was purchased by John Deere in 1910/1911 .It remained in Syracuse until 1955 .The property I found it on has been in the same family since 1966. The father of the current owner View attachment 007.jpg told me he never had that type of plow . So it was in the ground for at least 50 years .One similar to the one in the pic it listed on E-bay for $79.00 .

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cleaned it with a wire brush .But a plow share is a heavy chunk of steel so it is not going to rust away in 50 or 150 years .I admit that I saved it because it seemed t be it good shape .

dhog

Feb 26, 2018
SW Va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garett ace 400 AT PRO Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was on old Farm site couple weeks ago and found half of one that had Chilled plow Co. On it. Nice find 👍

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice relic find! :occasion14:

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dhog It is likely the other piece is near to where you found the part that you found .Once part of it broke the rest was weaken considerably .I weight the one I have and it weighted about 3 lbs . I am not certain but I think it might be cast iron .If so than it would rust much slower than regular steel would

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions