Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its great to have made a find with so much provenance and history behind it. Devils Anses son. Wow!
I used to run as a lad with a boy named Hatfield over here in Tennessee. We called his dad Catfish. Interesting people.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is such an awesome find. Sorry for being a late viewer but, I voted Banner on it as well. Hope it makes it!

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
My first time posting in a long time. I decided to try doing a little searching on a hillside behind my house. After about 15 minutes, found this badge about 4" deep. T.S. Hatfield (Tennyson or Tennis) was son of Anse Hatfield. Served as a deputy during the 20's and was sheriff in this county. My best find yet!

BadCop....THAT IS WAAAAY BEYOND A GREAT FIND! I hope you don't mind, I'm going to put that photo and how you found it in my paternal genealogy file....I'm a Very distant descendant of Devil Anse Hatfield.

I sure wish my father and grandparents were alive to see that badge!

That made my day to see that! Thanks For Posting It!

BANNER FIND FOR SURE!!!

Kace

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I know I would love to find one similar. Congratulations on a very cool find.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on making the banner! That’s going to be a hard one to top. Good luck!

OP
OP
B

badcop25601

Dec 2, 2012
Southern West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on making the banner! That’s going to be a hard one to top. Good luck!

Thank you sir.....now if I can find the rest of the uniform it would be great. We bought two lots next to our property several years ago. There was once a house on the property. I contacted the lady who we bought the lots from and she said that Valentine Hatfield was her great great grandfather. Her grandfather built their old homeplace which was destroyed by fire many years ago. I would say that the area behind my house was just a path back then.

Last edited:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations On Making Banner! That's Such An Amazing Find From The Most Famous Fued In The Country.

The moonshine making didn't stop in WVA... Two of his descendants (Brothers) were turned in by one of their wives because she found out he was having an affair with their young maid...They both served time in Leavenworth for making and distributing 'shine.

To top it off his wife refused to give him a divorce for another 17yrs just to keep him from marrying the maid.

They had two children and after a whole lot of issues his wife finally agreed to a divorce... the last condition being that he left that town. They finally were able to be married and stayed together til his death. It was a Scandalous affair. It was very hard on the 6 children that he had with both women.

I'd love to post pics of a couple of the jars from them from Beckley, WV and MO to go with your badge... but I probably better not. I will say that their recipe survives to this day:occasion14:

Kace

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok... 2 things.....
First being, how did I miss this post.... and second,
How did this not become Banner the day you found it?

Congrats on an incredible find, and kudos to Jeff and others with the research....fascinating!

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually don’t post on the banner recoveries, but wow... that’s a nice historical recovery.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
My first time posting in a long time. I decided to try doing a little searching on a hillside behind my house. After about 15 minutes, found this badge about 4" deep. T.S. Hatfield (Tennyson or Tennis) was son of Anse Hatfield. Served as a deputy during the 20's and was sheriff in this county. My best find yet!

Which part of WV are you in? My family is in Mingo. Lots of Hatfields in the family.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find buddy , sorry I missed it since May.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I missed the original post too! :BangHead: Congratulations! :icon_thumright:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the find and the Banner! I don't know how I missed the post either but it is hard to view each and every post and we all have favorite forums.

My' Great Aunt Hattie (as we called her and I can't remember her real name and don't know where my' genealogy notebook is), my Dad's Aunt, married a McCoy that was kin to the famed McCoys.

Dug1898

Sep 27, 2011
Fingerlakes Region, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-X2 &
Los Banos Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Badcop, congratulations on such a great find and having it making Banner! It deserves to be up there, very Kool. Are you a Cop, or were you one once?
If so it's even kooler that a cop found a cops badge! A very special cop's badge at that!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread