badcop25601

Dec 2, 2012
Southern West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Badcop, congratulations on such a great find and having it making Banner! It deserves to be up there, very Kool. Are you a Cop, or were you one once?
If so it's even kooler that a cop found a cops badge! A very special cop's badge at that!

Yes......32 years and winding down the stress. The only therapy that works is detecting lol

OP
OP
B

badcop25601

Dec 2, 2012
Southern West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Has this been authenticated?

There are no photos of him wearing the badge as of yet. I have contacted several badge dealers and one reliable auction house. They all confirm that the badge is consistant with some that were worn during that era. The individual deputy would have had his name hand punched on his badge. I have had some offers to purchase but am keeping it.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for losing 2 hours reading through the links, good hours! I remembered your post, what a find! With all the crazy things that went on around there the ground must be full of stories, thanks.

OP
OP
B

badcop25601

Dec 2, 2012
Southern West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for losing 2 hours reading through the links, good hours! I remembered your post, what a find! With all the crazy things that went on around there the ground must be full of stories, thanks.

If my hunts lately are an indicator, there must have been a whole lot of beer drinking out of cans going on lol

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply stunning! I love the stories and legends surrounding the Hatfield–McCoy feud, it is part of the American tradition. That badge is very valuable to our nation's history, happy you found it after so many countless decades. I'd rather find this than a gold coin any day! :icon_thumright:

ghp95134

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't find a photo of TS Hatfield wearing his deputy sheriff badge, but here's a 1926 photo of him as sheriff. That might be a badge on his pocket, below the watch chain, but I'm not willing to bet on it.

Caption:

Sheriff of Logan County 1926
Youngest son Tennis S. Hatfield
of Devil Anse Hatfield
Logan County Courthouse

--Guy

Attachments

• ab.jpg
    ab.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 110

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find and a great piece of history to go with it!!! Congrats!!!

"D"

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Congrats on the find of course, but more importantly the 32 yeas of service. I'm winding down myself and I know for a fact if I lost my badge and someone found it 100 years later they would probably toss it in the can slaw bucket! LOL...Congrats. jgas

OP
OP
B

badcop25601

Dec 2, 2012
Southern West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the find of course, but more importantly the 32 yeas of service. I'm winding down myself and I know for a fact if I lost my badge and someone found it 100 years later they would probably toss it in the can slaw bucket! LOL...Congrats. jgas

And thank you as well for your service sir!!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok... 2 things.....
First being, how did I miss this post.... and second,
How did this not become Banner the day you found it?

Congrats on an incredible find, and kudos to Jeff and others with the research....fascinating!
I was kind of wondering what took so long for it to make the banner myself. I voted back in June myself.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome banner for sure wow

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing find and this thread was a joy to read. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread