Last edited:

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Man if that's for real, i vote banner, waiting for some confermation from one of the experts
we have on here, then i'll vote banner all day long, i'll even vote twice.

OP
OP
B

badcop25601

Dec 2, 2012
Southern West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This house was built in the mid 40's. Moved in about 35 years ago. It is close to the old courthouse site. The odd part of this badge is that the pin is upside down. By reading all I could find on the politics of that time, there was a lot of corruption. During the battle of Blair Mountain, Sheriff Don Chafin, organized an army of 2000 to fight off the miners. T.S. Hatfield served as deputy under Chafin before running for Sheriff. He lost, but due to an investigation (where it was found that Chafin had used intimidation on voters), he was made Sheriff.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool find of the deputy sheriff badge and also knowing the History that goes along with this piece. A True piece of American History and folklore. I'll vote Banner Find too. Well Done and Continued Success to you.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, that thing probably belongs in a museum.

JimJ

Mar 24, 2016
Metz, WV
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, At Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great historic find. That was an interesting area with a lot of conflict between the mine owners and union members. Seemed like before every contract negotiation between the 'company' and the Union that the movie Matewan was required viewing back in the late 1980's and early 1990's. If confirmed authentic, and i believe it is, I vote banner also!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_link.gif
I searched Google and found HATFIELD, Levisa (Chafin) Obituary that mentioned Sheriff Hatfield...

"...Shortly after the death of her husband in 1921, Mrs. Hatfield was persuaded to leave the old homeplace on Island Creek and make her home with her son, Tennis, but she was not satisfied away from the scenes of her earlier life and a year ago the sons started remodeling the old family home, making modern improvements and fixing it so that their aged mother could return and rest in peace and quiet without great tax on her failing health. Ten children survived, one of whom William Anderson Hatfield, a Deputy Sheriff in Logan County, was an active figure in the long-standing feud that spattered the West Virginia and Kentucky border counties with blood. Another son, T. S. Hatfield, is Sheriff of Logan County. Three of the 13 children born to the noted feudist and his wife are dead. “Devil Anse” died in 1921 and a life size statute of him, erected by his friends, stands near his home. Henry D. Hatfield, United States Senator from West Virginia is a nephew of “Devil Anse”. The number of killings that marked the warfare between the Hatfield and McCoy clans in the many years it continued is not known. Efforts of peace officers and courts to end the feud failed repeatedly and it was not until the two families moved to widely separated sections that the strife stopped. Big Sandy News-Recorder, Mar 22, 1929..."

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The pin being upside down like it is, is probably how he lost it,
cant believe this hasnt made banner.

OP
OP
B

badcop25601

Dec 2, 2012
Southern West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks very much. I have sent pics to an expert in hopes of dating the badge to the correct period. I think you are spot on about how the badge was lost. There was no latch made for the pin.

hucklburry

Dec 18, 2010
google images has some pics of him, but I didn't see one of him wearing a badge, but this would have been before he became sheriff? It would be cool to find a pic of him wearing one....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
“Deputy sheriff Hatfield Tennis ”

Evening star. [volume]
(Washington, D.C.), 18 Aug. 1927.

View attachment 1597044
View attachment 1597045
View attachment 1597046
View attachment 1597047

000fff.jpg
000ggg.jpg
000hhh.jpg
000iii.jpg

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...ext=&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

===================

Evening star. [volume] (Washington, D.C.), 20 Sept. 1924.

View attachment 1597048 000jjj.jpg

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...ext=&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

=================

Evening star. [volume] (Washington, D.C.), 11 Jan. 1924.

View attachment 1597049 000kkk.jpg

===================
Evening star. [volume] (Washington, D.C.), 08 Oct. 1924.
View attachment 1597050 000lll.jpg
View attachment 1597051 000mmm.jpg

======================
22 results containing “ Hatfield Tennis ”

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...tance=5&rows=50&searchType=advanced&sort=date

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

badcop25601

Dec 2, 2012
Southern West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting