ghost town detecting

pivotpoint

Tenderfoot
Jul 2, 2018
colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI! new to detecting and just have a question about ghost towns/mining towns. I live in Colorado and there are a lot of small towns/cities still in existence that where /are very popular for mining.
question: can I just drive into town,park on side of rode or parking lot somewhere,pull out my detector and start sweeping,to look for older coins,relics,etc… from past early history there? I guess as long is it isn't private property?(right)? I was just thinking if the towns older generation knows the history and see's some younger guy out there swinging a detector around I might cause trouble!? or would I be causing good as "DIGGING UP HISTORY"---for the town to see.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
HI! new to detecting and just have a question about ghost towns/mining towns. I live in Colorado and there are a lot of small towns/cities still in existence that where /are very popular for mining.
question: can I just drive into town,park on side of rode or parking lot somewhere,pull out my detector and start sweeping,to look for older coins,relics,etc… from past early history there? I guess as long is it isn't private property?(right)? I was just thinking if the towns older generation knows the history and see's some younger guy out there swinging a detector around I might cause trouble!? or would I be causing good as "DIGGING UP HISTORY"---for the town to see.

I do not suggest detecting the sites you described without permission. It may be a ghost town but someone owns the property. A citation for trespassing is not a good way to start out in this hobby.
Good luck hunting!

azdave

Dec 12, 2014
southern AZ
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It goes beyond just trespassing.... antiquity laws come into play. Even if you think it's harmless fun or on "public land," there will be laws/regulations that say what you can do.

First thing is to understand about land ownership. Most people in AZ are absolutely clueless about the differences between Bureau of Land Management, US Forest Service, National Park Service, and State Land Trust "land"... especially about what activities are allowable. I bet a big chunk of Colorado is like AZ.... where Federal and state government rule a huge portion of the state.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do research you can find out through deeds who owns certain places

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome also from tnet Tommy

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for the county GIS maps online, that's the quickest way to find out who owns what.

HistoryStudent

Feb 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, ghost town hunting can be very frustrating and hopeless. You do your research, even plot building locations and become excited by what you might find but when the day comes and your hunt begins you discover that the site is littered with rusty nails, big iron and bits of tin everywhere. At the end of day, you go home thinking, "what a waste of time."

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, ghost town hunting can be very frustrating and hopeless. You do your research, even plot building locations and become excited by what you might find but when the day comes and your hunt begins you discover that the site is littered with rusty nails, big iron and bits of tin everywhere. At the end of day, you go home thinking, "what a waste of time."

These are true statements. However, as long as you either have permission or it's an area that isn't off limits it can be VERY rewarding. Some of my absolute best relic finds have been found at ghost town type sites. You have to remember that most of these places have probably already been hit pretty hard, so digging low tones will be your friend. It takes a LOT of perseverance and patience, but nothing is ever 100% hunted out. Yes, you're gonna dig a lot of trash, BUT there's still goodies to be found IF you have the patience.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ghost towns have also typically been overhunted. They are low-hanging fruit on the tree of everybody that got a metal detector for Father's Day as well as every early serious relic hunter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread