civil war site hunting questions

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
in my research found a nice little creek that goes right though a major civil war battle area in an urban area. It is about 200 yards wide and 1,000 yards long between two old residential streets. From street level it is about fifty feet below to the bottom of a small creek with steep eroded banks about 6-8 feet high. There are also sloping areas that is clear of weeds, eg just leaves between large trees about 100 - 200 years old. so from a terrain standpoint it is a little of a challenge since it is not open fields but is doable.

I am using my Nox 800 and only have about 30 hours on it so that is somewhat of a challenge.

I am guessing since this is a relative small area I should just hunt it very carefully and completely. Has anyone hunted it before? most likely.

any ideas will be helpful.

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I'm in a civil war site I dig everything

BenVa68

Mar 9, 2018
Hopewell va.
Detector(s) used
Technetics T2+ Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have hunted a spot very similar to this though without a creek. It was a wooded area with steep eroded banks in an urban area. I hunted it for several weeks with only a few decent finds until one day I was searching near the bottom of one of the slopes when I hit the jackpot of bullets. I dug at least 50 of them. All different types and calibers but mostly 3 ringers and Union. So my advice is cover it throughly. The jackpot could be right there in a little 10 ft area that you haven't searched yet.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Take your time and go Low and Slow and the finds will come. Best of Luck to you. Go Dig some History.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I'm in a civil war site I dig everything

That is a good tip. Since over time the rain would erode the bank and heavy bullets would certainly roll down hill and get covered up by the mud being eroded down also. Never thought about that. I have some areas like that where I hunt.
thanks alot.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have hunted a spot very similar to this though without a creek. It was a wooded area with steep eroded banks in an urban area. I hunted it for several weeks with only a few decent finds until one day I was searching near the bottom of one of the slopes when I hit the jackpot of bullets. I dug at least 50 of them. All different types and calibers but mostly 3 ringers and Union. So my advice is cover it throughly. The jackpot could be right there in a little 10 ft area that you haven't searched yet.

That is a good tip. Since over time the rain would erode the bank and heavy bullets would certainly roll down hill and get covered up by the mud being eroded down also. Never thought about that. I have some areas like that where I hunt.
thanks alot.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks alot.

ignore reply, got mixed up and replied to wrong post.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in my research found a nice little creek that goes right though a major civil war battle area in an urban area. It is about 200 yards wide and 1,000 yards long between two old residential streets. From street level it is about fifty feet below to the bottom of a small creek with steep eroded banks about 6-8 feet high. There are also sloping areas that is clear of weeds, eg just leaves between large trees about 100 - 200 years old. so from a terrain standpoint it is a little of a challenge since it is not open fields but is doable.

I am using my Nox 800 and only have about 30 hours on it so that is somewhat of a challenge.

I am guessing since this is a relative small area I should just hunt it very carefully and completely. Has anyone hunted it before? most likely.

any ideas will be helpful.

It's always worth a Try , for me getting 'On Site' is the hardest part.

Honestly I have never found a Civil War relic in a Creek , I did find my first 2 "For Sure" points in a small creek in the Spring.
I got an at_pro around last Jan but I have never used it , as I got it mainly for water hunting . Also I've been putting off that fishing Kayak that would help is those hard to reach areas. My water goal is Next Spring & Summer. Heck I even know a Small but Growing Co, that will sell me a Kayak at a nice discount.

Did you ever try to hunt that Big sounding creek ? Even common stuff intrigues me.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes Sir !

I many , many times have found relics in very small patches. Good Advice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions