Help with tuning out nails with ace 400

Jason Crozier

Apr 7, 2018
Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been relic hunting finding mostly iron and some brass. Needing help to tune out nails as these seem to be everywhere at the site Iā€™m at. Iā€™m new to detecting with an ace 400 and am having trouble tuning out nails of all sizes. Lots of digging for a rusty old nail. Is it possible to detect without pinging on every nail in the ground? Any help or ideas would be appreciated

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I suggest you google ace 400 metal detecting nails and it will show you all posts on a lot of forums about your issue. I always search google first before I try searching individual forums.

make sure the nails you are finding and you should be able to discriminate those out. But on some detectors rusty and bent nails can sound like a good target. You will learn that metal detecting is both an art and a science with the better detectorist having the most experience on their detector. That is half the fun, the learning experience and seeing your learning pay off in the field. But to be honest it can be frustrating if you are looking for instant gratification. My adult son has an Ace 250 and he often out detects me when I am using my AT Pro because he digs everything.

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I think iron helps find the old home places, railway stops, barns etc. Stop the iron on relic hunting in my humble opinion is like loosing a map to the good targets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread