Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent a long day digging there around 1990. Residential neighborhoods have of course eaten into the original camp area, but there were still many pockets of it left in the woods then. My grandfather trained there in 1917-18, 30th ID , 114th Field Artillery. I had several maps from the National Archives and by using landmarks and measurements we located the section of the camp he was encamped at and I found 2 horse shoes I later turned into bookends. Other finds that day were many pre-1919 wheats and mercury dimes, lots of 30-06 rifle cartridges and .45 ACP brass, bullets fired and pulled, plus the ever present brass rope tensioners from the tents. We also hunted the historical marker in the triangle in the middle of the roadway, and did really well on older coins there as it seems many people had visited this site through the years, and lost a ton of coins in there. I spent much more time digging at some of the other WWI training camps - or what was left of them, and you should give it a shot as there are plenty of old coins, including gold coins, and artifacts in these areas. In the other camps I hunted more extensively in Augusta, Macon, and Norcross, the coins ran from the Civil War era to 1918. The tenting areas and showers produced the best finds - all you need is a map, and there might be one online now. Good luck!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool post Id love to hunt there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread