First Civil War Permission Properties..advise needed.

HI-McDunnogh

Sep 7, 2018
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I recently received permission to dig my first Civil War sites both in the same week. I am excited for the opportunities to say the least, but as a beginner have a few questions.

I see a lot of folks say "dig everything." With both properties being fairly large, should I take this route or target a specific range? I'll have repeated access to them.

As a follow up, what range can I expect bullets, uniform materials, etc. to hit at?

Any help is appreciated!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dig every signal, send it all to me , and I'll let you know what it's worth

OP
OP
HI-McDunnogh

HI-McDunnogh

Sep 7, 2018
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dig every signal, send it all to me , and I'll let you know what it's worth

I have a feeling that the worth of the first Civil War relic I ever dig out of the ground will have a different amount of worth to me than it will you, no matter the value.

I think I'll pass.

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suggest digging iron signals to see What they are, especially at a new spot. It would be good to see if they are square nails or barbed wire. Once you find a junky spot slow down and pick out the good signals.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Kid, Best of Luck to you in your new C.W. permission sites. Go low and slow and take your time. If you have repeated access to the sites don't get into a real hurry. If I can suggest too, make you some notes on the relics you find as to what, when, and where they were found along with any personal footnotes concerning the relics. I catalogued my relics from years back, and I can turn back into the catalogue and read on a particular relic (for the most part) when it was found and information regarding the said item or relic. To me personally, this makes the relics more valuable in that they have a personal History attached to them and this would be more meaningful if you ever planned on leaving your collection to a family member or friend down the road. Best of Luck to you. Go Dig some History.

TerryEastTexas

Oct 26, 2004
Palestine. Tx.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.
Primary Interest:
Other
If you don't use low disc. you will miss such things as stirrups, jew's harps and other iron items. So go with an open mind and low disc.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Just set the machine the best you can and most of all, have fun.

OP
OP
HI-McDunnogh

HI-McDunnogh

Sep 7, 2018
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Appreciate the insight everyone.

DevlDog, I am already doing just that. I record the details from all my worth while finds in a spread sheet including the lat and long from a handheld GPS that I 'mark' and can refer back to later. I then take the lat and long coordinates and plot them on Google Earth which I am able to save and refer back to. This is able to show me where a concentration of items that I've found is instead of trying to remember anecdotally. This process might seem tedious to some, but I genuinely enjoy the logging of finds as an extenuation of the hobby. And as you mentioned, gives the find a story that I can hold on to.

Thanks again.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest the first week or two on the site you dig everything, especially large iron. The large iron can hide smaller items like buttons. Remember, this is not a race.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a great idea. You'll appreciate the extra work and effort on down the road when you can sit back and refer back to the relics and relive the joy when finding these Historical artifacts. Like you said, I enjoy doing this also. If the artifacts have a little personal History to go along with them it makes them that much more valuable.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep dig it all if you have the luxury of time. I tend to skip iron stuff but that may be the most interesting of the relics. If you need help my machine and i can come er, uh, supervise lol. I am in Baltimore.

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since they are large areas and no limits on returning I would start by digging good signals and try to find the active areas, you can always go back and dig it all

OP
OP
HI-McDunnogh

HI-McDunnogh

Sep 7, 2018
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep dig it all if you have the luxury of time. I tend to skip iron stuff but that may be the most interesting of the relics. If you need help my machine and i can come er, uh, supervise lol. I am in Baltimore.

Ha! Appreciate the offer.

In all seriousness, since I'm relatively new to this I'm always looking for folks in the area that share the interest to learn from. Before I found this place, I had exactly one pal who's into it to share finds with and learn from.

If you ever make your way through central VA give me a shout.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Since they are large areas and no limits on returning I would start by digging good signals and try to find the active areas, you can always go back and dig it all
etex, I love the CS buckle. Did you find this?

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is one Great find for sure. I know your heart was racing when you dug this piece. I know mine would have been. It is in great shape too. Congrat's to you on one Historical Confetrit' piece of History.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go a little different route , set my discrimination to make a nickel sound good . dig everything above that . when the easy digs run dry I lower the the dis and go some more . I'm in central Va and have 35 years of digging history in Fredericksburg Va area . hit me up if you'd like someone to tag along.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions