2 shell casing dumps in two days

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love finding old shell casings , I know many people just toss them but not me. I recently found two casing dumps in two totally different locations . The first had all sorts of different casings 9 caliber types and several variations of them , some have been fired some have intact primers some missing primers they were all in about a square foot area with a few a little further away. I think it may have been a gunsmith shop or something. It was a late 1800s mining camp , all kinds of neat stuff there.

The second were 45-70 shell casings all matching with benet primers dating about 1875-1877 except one center fire primed with a headstamp
of 4 (april) 79 (1879) R (rifle) and W which I am not sure of the meaning they usually have an F for frankford arsenal . 2 - 10 gauge shells , different headstamps, 1 12 gauge shell, one small rimfire .32 maybe and 1 rimfire that almost matches a 56-56 spencer but it is a little too long for a 56-56 and a little to short for a 56-52 . This spot I am now thinking may have been a military camp spot I have been looking for for quite some time but I have to find a actual military relic to confirm it.

Lots of fun I just wanted to share.

Attachments

• casingdump1.jpg
    casingdump1.jpg
    868.8 KB · Views: 261
  • casingdump2.jpg
    casingdump2.jpg
    980 KB · Views: 251

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that's what you like and why not than you have had some great spots to check out for the next few weeks .Have fun and give us an update if you keep hitting the jack pot

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool that's a lot of relics

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Target practice location. You'll find lots of lead about 50-100 yards away.
If you are right the camp will be the other way opposite the lead.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love finding old shell casings , ...................... with benet primers dating about 1875-1877 except one center fire primed with a headstamp of 4 (april) 79 (1879) R (rifle) and W which I am not sure of the meaning they usually have an F for frankford arsenal ................ Lots of fun I just wanted to share.

Fun to sort through an assortment like that.

What I know about ammo would fit in the primer area of one of those casings, but could the W stand for Winchester?

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Nice finds and the casings are in very good condition.

I hunt sites associated with the Plains Indian Wars and cartridges, casings, bullets are all very collectible as well as fun to find.

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool, im still looking for a vintage 45-70 case

OP
OP
Goldstar1

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the comments and interest. The first spot (on the left)I have not been back to . The second spot I have been and I am pretty sure it was a military camp and probably was as mentioned where there was target practice going on I will have to see if I can find where the lead is but i found a whole bunch more casings mostly in the time period that fits the military activity there.

I was researching the area heavily to see if I could find anything as far as a military encampment and boom , I stumbled on some info that indeed there was an encampment about a mile away so I am like hmmm... thats pretty close. So it goes on and in fact there were two military encampments there one I couldnt pinpoint but a little further away and I believe this spot is it. I started searching the are where the main camp was supposed to be (there is a name of the creek on that one) and I found a bunch of cool stuff even some silver from what appears to have been a smelting operation I would guess in the very early 1900s, but no military stuff. At the end of the last day there the sun was setting and I found a little spot with a meal knife which I think matches what the military was using at the time , several .45 schofield /S&W, shells with no headstamps and a very cool 50-70 casing with a rare bar anvil primer so I think I am on the right track.

Unfortunately the ground was getting pretty frozen and when I got back to my vehicle it was 18 degrees so that was it for the year but I cant wait to get back next year and really do some scouring. For me it in this type area it really is more about putting together the pieces of the mystery than the finds themselves but Of course I always love to find a new old casing I have never found before or interesting relics that match what I am trying to find.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Nice find on the bar anvil 50-70 and you are right about them being more scarce than the Benet primed 50-70’s.

Here are several of the bar anvil 50-70’s I have found. I have also been able to find the 50-70 bullets so I was able to seat them back into the casings. These are from 1860's sites associated with the Plains Indian Wars.

Attachments

• 50-70_bar_anvil.jpg
    50-70_bar_anvil.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
OP
OP
Goldstar1

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the pics 11KBP , those are some nice ones , the one I found was smashed. I am hopeing to find more there in the spring. From what I have read the bar anvil type 50-70 were only made from 1866-1868.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Thanks for the pics 11KBP , those are some nice ones , the one I found was smashed. I am hopeing to find more there in the spring. From what I have read the bar anvil type 50-70 were only made from 1866-1868.

Yes, that was a short window of time for the bar anvil casings.

These are the 50-70 variations I have found to date. The Martin primer casing has been the most elusive by far.

Attachments

• 50-70 variations.JPG
    50-70 variations.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 323

just.neil

Dec 26, 2017
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter commando
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also like finding old casing shells

OP
OP
Goldstar1

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that was a short window of time for the bar anvil casings.

These are the 50-70 variations I have found to date. The Martin primer casing has been the most elusive by far.
Very cool collection there , thanks for sharing. How do you determine the martin primers ? Im curious now I will have to check through to see if I have any.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Very cool collection there , thanks for sharing. How do you determine the martin primers ? Im curious now I will have to check through to see if I have any.

Although the Martin primer appears to be an external primer it is not.

MARTIN PRIMER - A patented U.S. inside-primed cartridge (patents #88,191, 3-23-1869; #111,856,2-14-1871) with a relatively complex folded case design. Its principal identifying feature is a large, circular primer-like disc in its head. Mostly found in copper-cased.50-70 cartridges, .44,.45 and .50 caliber pistol cartridges. Rarely found in brass, or other calibers.

Attachments

• Martin_primer.jpg
    Martin_primer.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 414
OP
OP
Goldstar1

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool thanks for the info , those must be really rare in general. I dont think I have found any of those yet I will be on the lookout for them .

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! That's a lot casings. Keep working the area looking for the lost keepers. :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great post nice relics I would go back and see what other cool stuff you can dig Well done

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Target practice location. You'll find lots of lead about 50-100 yards away.
If you are right the camp will be the other way opposite the lead.

Makes sense to me.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool informative thread thanks y'all & hope y'all get more in the future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread