Help with this pistol bullet

GameOfTones

May 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting a well known CW battlefield today that was, and still is farmland.

I found this dropped pistol bullet below the top soil layer and in the clay about 7 inches deep.

At first I thought it was a post war round but once I cleaned it up, it appears to be a black powder bullet but does not have the patina of CW rifle bullets I've found in same area.

I know modern black powder rifles are used for hunting today and I know people still shoot black powder pistols today but this bullet was just as deep as actual CW bullets.

The base is flat with a sprue indentation and there is a mold seam going up the side. It appears to measure 3/8" diameter which would be .375 caliber.

Anyone have any ideas? 20181120_123617.jpeg 20181120_123715.jpeg 20181120_124212.jpeg 20181120_123613.jpeg

OP
OP
GameOfTones

GameOfTones

May 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mystery deepens. I know Forrest and his calvary were on the site where this bullet was found.

And as I continue to research, this caliber of bullet could be for a Colt Navy (.375) which was carried by calvary. But the color and condition of this bullet have me stumped.

Other than being found in the water, has anyone ever dug a CW era bullet that was this color?

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to measure it with calipers instead of a measuring tape. It looks like it could be a .36 caliber BP revolver bullet

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting a well known CW battlefield today that was, and still is farmland.

I found this dropped pistol bullet below the top soil layer and in the clay about 7 inches deep.

At first I thought it was a post war round but once I cleaned it up, it appears to be a black powder bullet but does not have the patina of CW rifle bullets I've found in same area.

I know modern black powder rifles are used for hunting today and I know people still shoot black powder pistols today but this bullet was just as deep as actual CW bullets.

The base is flat with a sprue indentation and there is a mold seam going up the side. It appears to measure 3/8" diameter which would be .375 caliber.

Anyone have any ideas? View attachment 1653636 View attachment 1653637 View attachment 1653638 View attachment 1653639

Have you figured this one out yet ?

IMO 'Only' I think it's an old but not Civil War Bullet (tho it is missing the small Reeds inside the rings ) , I have found many this same color & style .
BYW , I keep all the Bullets that I dig that look like this & other more modern types in hopes of making a display of bullet types from 22 cal to .45 & maybe throw in a spent High power Rifle bullet or 2.

A decent find indeed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread