glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been spending most of my spare time digging bottles .After another over night rain shower I decided to do some metal detecting at spot in a large wood lot when some very rusted pieces of tin have been laying .What I found leads me to believe there was a building there many years ago .I have known about this spot for more than 50 years but it is the first time I used the metal detector to see if I figure out what 2 or 3 very rusted pieces of roofing material was in the middle of nowhere as far as any other signs of human activity .The pieces that I found most interesting where the two hooks attached to chains .I am not sure what they may have been used for but they are very well made IMG_0313.jpg

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The items you mentioned might be meat hooks. The item on the right side leaning against the hard rake looks to be a hand forged gate latch and a nice one!

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small foot the smaller rake is made like a hand made rake also ,And today after a little cleaning up and some WD 40 the forged gate latch is in working order .It really is a well made piece .And to get it moving again after being in the ground for as long as it has been is amazing Some old maps show a few buildings near by to that area but they indicate they would have been several hundred yards away . Plus the nearest water source would also be quite a distance away also . I wonder if it might have been a smokehouse . There are 3 pine trees within 50 yards of where I found the tools .They do not match any other tree in the nearly 20 acres of wood land there .Perhaps they where planted there when their was a dwelling there Thanks for looking View attachment IMG_0320.jpg

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might be on to something. If those are meat hooks they were made to be fixed in position. Thanks for the clearer pix. That is a cool latch. Shows some talent for a blacksmith in the day! I have a similar latch but much smaller version that was made to be on a chain but latched similarly.

Attachments

• 102_0720.JPG
    102_0720.JPG
    313 KB · Views: 103
OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that is also a great example of the craftsmanship that people had in spite of a lack of modern day tech .Thanks for add your picture.As soon as I found each of them I thought they looked like meat hooks Again the workmanship is very good for something that is a basic tool

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread