Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2020
florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
I've been "oak islanding" in the swamp area on my property. It has been so dry that the "lake" dried up.
I took this opportunity to scan it. I found a plow point amd part of an iron kettle, but then I found about 2 1/2 feet down what looked like part of a wagon wheel. I took a trace of the arc and traced that arc onto paper and came up with an estimated 48" in diameter. I could find no spokes or hub as I dug though. Finally dug it out and it is a 48" wherl. I wondered what it wss used for. Here's some specs: first, I think the tire is steel rather than iron as my detector sounded off on all three switch settings, not just the middle one which usually finds iron.
The tire is about 1/8" thick and just shy of 1 3/4" wide. There were 16 spokes whose hole diameter was between 5/8 to 3/4" in diameter. The variance probably due to wood swelling. The screws holding the wood to the tire were thin with squared nuts. I realize the tire was heat fitted. I guess the screws were to hold on the fellows plates. At first I thought this wheel was from a typical farm wagon, but it seems less heavy duty as though for a buggy or possibly for a farm implement of some kind. After all, it is found in the same area as plow parts. See photos. I'm curious what era and what it may have been used for.
Thanks for any input.
20200329_100023_resized.jpg 20200329_095945_resized.jpg 20200329_100006_resized.jpg 20200329_100016_resized.jpg

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Probably off of a light buggy, similar to this one

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 11.52.01 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 11.52.01 AM.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 98
OP
OP
J

[email protected]

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2020
florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your response. Initially I thought it would be a farm wagon wheel, but realized it was probably too light. I also figured it must be something like what you posted. I've found a few more items I'm curious about tbat I'll post later.
Doesn't anyone drop any coins? ��

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Creskol. Because it is thinner, I would say it is off of a buggy. If it was wider, it would probably be off of something like a covered wagon.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your response. Initially I thought it would be a farm wagon wheel, but realized it was probably too light. I also figured it must be something like what you posted. I've found a few more items I'm curious about tbat I'll post later.
Doesn't anyone drop any coins? ��
Thats a good question I think in my town they were to cheap and if they did they picked them right back up and left a pop top in its place lol They are out there looks like you have some history on your property youll find some and keep those finds coming thats a cool wheel

OP
OP
J

[email protected]

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2020
florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a couple more. 20200521_122033_resized.jpg 20200521_122006_resized.jpg
The one I'm most curious about is the cylindrical thing with the swiveling clasp on it. I should have taken multiple
photos of that one picture because I missed part of that rod in the foreground. It has a loop on the end, part of which
you see in the 2nd picture. I'm guessing that's a cast iron rod used for holding a pot over the fire while cooking
and indeed there's part of a cracked cast iron pot there. Also two bucket hinges that are probably part of something else.
Some metal straps there. I found another what appears to be a wheel but no wood on it. Just nails that were in place.
It was much thinner, and I don't have a picture of it here. It appears to be part of a plow wheel or something like that
but likely too thin to be from a wagon or carriage. Then the photo with the bottle I think is a pepto bismol bottle from
around 1905 or thereabouts if google serves. Beneath it is a plow point like many I found on my prior property in this same
small town in Florida. It's a Billups and Son. Those were manufactured from about 1870 to around 1920 if memory serves.
The spoon I found on ebay is an oneida silver plated from around 1920.
So my questions are about that cylindrical object and the pole with the loop on the end.
Thanks.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
The pin with the loop on it is a clevis pin.

OP
OP
J

[email protected]

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2020
florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds right. I wonder what device it is attached to. That tube is hollow and has a hole in it mid way down.
That bottom part looks like a screw or something as though there were another part surrounding it, like wood.
Maybe this thing were fastened onto a plank or something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread