Tenderfoot
May 17, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
I found this....thing yesterday evening while MDing an old homesite where I have found 2 shoe buckles and a flat button. It was one of those take-your-breath away moments when I was knocking the mud off of it especially because I was ready to give up. It was the end of the hunt, the blackflies were biting, and I had been chasing the signal for a while. I found some iron in the hole and my garret propointer was misbehaving.

I really don't know what it is. Maybe a hat badge??? It says "Admiral G.B. Rodney" on it. There are some medals with this name on it, but they are round.

Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks in advance,
Cece

Attachments

• 20200517_083500.jpg
    20200517_083500.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 20200517_090050.jpg
    20200517_090050.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 117
OP
OP
C

Cece

Tenderfoot
May 17, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had no idea who he was, so I looked him up! WOW .. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Brydges_Rodney,_1st_Baron_Rodney
What a fantastic piece of history you have found!
My guess would be a hat badge, but I don't know!
From a historical standpoint, I would think that find would be banner worthy!
Thanks creskol. I am a newbie here and am not eligible to be included in the banner. Here's to future finds!
Thanks for including the link about Admiral Rodney. I would love to have found an item similar to this find online to help figure out the context it was used in. Is it something produced after the admiral's death to honor him? If so, when was it in use? The British were in this area during the War of 1812. I hope to be able to find additional information.
Happy Hunting!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a scarce thing in the sense that there don’t seem to be identical examples of that particular item kicking around (be it a badge, brooch or some other kind of personal adornment). However, I don’t think it has “Royal Navy” connections in a direct sense.

Despite criticism of his modus operandi and self-interest, Rodney was very much a hero of his time with the general populace, celebrated and adored in much the same way as Admiral Nelson. As well as medals celebrating his achievements, his image began to spring up on (as shown below) seals, wall-hangings, plaques, crockery, jugs/tankards, and even things like pipe-tampers.

Rodney1.jpg

Not to mention pub signs.

Rodney2.jpg

That’s what I think you have… a piece of jingoistic memorabilia celebrating a great man, and likely produced in the late 18th century at the height of his popularity, or early 19th century shortly after his death.

Rina Prentice, in her book of the National Maritime's Collection: “A Celebration of the Sea” states that following on from Admiral Keppel, the next great outpouring of souvenirs for the public at large was for Admiral Rodney and especially following his victory over the French in April 1782 at the Battle of the Saintes. This was the greatest naval victory of the American Revolutionary War and although Britain may have lost the American Colonies, this event was still cause for huge celebrations back home. The souvenir manufacturers had a field day and this was exemplified by the fact that even shoe buckles, some expensively produced, appeared commemorating the event.

OP
OP
C

Cece

Tenderfoot
May 17, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may want to hire you as my research historian! I think you are correct that this is probably a piece of memorabilia. That explains a lot of the mystery. There is no unit, regiment, ship, battle, etc. information on it. Also missing is any Royal Navy symbol. I think the material used is intriguing since a great deal of the memorabilia found regarding Rodney seems to be made for household display purposes: pictures, pitchers, mugs, etc.
Rodney certainly had his moment of fame with monuments and portraits located in St. Pauls's Cathedral, Wales, Scotland, and Jamaica to name a few. As you mentioned, several pub names refer to him as well as a fine rum.
Thanks for all of your help!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find these Guys are good

Top Member Reactions