Tool for working logs in building cabins, etc. ?????

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday I was just messing around in the forest behind my house and I stumbled into this tool......

The tool appears to be related to wood working, and if I were to guess, I'd say it dates to the early 1700's - that that's just a guess based on what I know of my family history here.

IMG_1495.JPG

IMG_1492.JPG

IMG_1507.JPG

Attachments

• BBUpSNg.img.jpg
    BBUpSNg.img.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

dirtfishinMS

Nov 29, 2017
Harrisville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, my TNet has been squirrelly today. But, I'm still amazed at finding that tool - probably Our oldest legacy here except for the land ownership itself.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you're right. It does look like a gouge for chisleing out wood.. Neat find.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a gouge alright....biggest one I've ever seen. I think your right to attribute it to log work.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sleeping on it last night, I'm leaning towards calling it a "drill". With the curvature, that's for cutting holes in logs?

It's really only a guess, but makes logical sense.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Its a gouge alright....biggest one I've ever seen. I think your right to attribute it to log work.

Still amazed.... That gouge may have been used to sculpt the logs on our first house here. One of my great great's used that tool, had his hands on it.

Neat to think about...

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice recovery Deep!

To trough a pole or half log , that tool would work. Make a water run with such.

We'd need to see a cross section or general view of original cabin or other structures logs.
It would be a lot of danged work to groove bottom of a round log to rest atop the one below in a manner to shed water.
And I think your cabin pictures showed squared timbers anyways.

But a coop or other structure could have been capped with a trenched/undercut/gouged round. Window sills for example where water was a concern.(?)

I thought it was a bark spud at first. Till seeing the curved blade.

You didn't wear wooden shoes as a child did ya? L.o.l..

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was a child, before my grandfather built this frame house I live in right now, there were two log houses they used. The one I remember being in was a one room cabin, over a root cellar. On the hill above was the larger log house - One big room with a fireplace, and a loft bedroom.

The large house had squared logs, with mud filling any cracks... The second room was kinda like a lean to on the end of the one big room. Looking for pictures...

There's some pics somewhere.....

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A drill was my first thought but a tool like that would have had multiple purposes, awesome find, on my nox the old iron like that rings in around 15

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't have a detector with me, just had the feeling I needed to walk up there again. It's the same place I found that 1950 Clorox bottle a couple weeks ago.

Geez, two good finds and I wasn't even up there to be looking, just wanted to go up there. Maybe I should make an immediate hobby of that location!

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't have a detector with me, just had the feeling I needed to walk up there again. It's the same place I found that 1950 Clorox bottle a couple weeks ago.

Geez, two good finds and I wasn't even up there to be looking, just wanted to go up there. Maybe I should make an immediate hobby of that location!

I know I would!!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
We've had a steady rain going quite a while, basically all day. Getting claustrophobic :( Shoulda been up there already! It waited over 200 years for me, guess it'll wait a bit longer :(

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
It could be for cutting mortises to chink kings. It’s pretty long for decorative carving

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm still sitting here in my morning daze, lazy is a good thing :)

I am going up in a little bit and may just sit there a while - don't wish to miss anything, there'll be some digging there to come. I'd be foolish to ignore it. I'd mentioned the Clorox bottle, may as well post a picture here too:

Clorox Bottle.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
My folks really liked Clorox! I went up the hill again. This is about it for surface finds, may stumble into something else yet, but anticipate having to start digging.

Good Bottom.JPG

Good upright.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions