What is this?

Brianfromsyr

Oct 8, 2012
Mattydale, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend found this in an old home site.
Its about 12" diameter.
Any idea what it is? Screenshot_20201010-175603_Message+.jpg

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you show photos of the top and bottom.

HonkeytonkMan

Jul 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a modified chimney cap. A relic from the 1930s dust storms? looks like it was modified to keep more dust out?

CTS_MAIN-scaled.jpg

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were vintage items like that were put on cables and ropes to prevent critters from using them as a highway.

HonkeytonkMan

Jul 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like a logical explanation, Galvanized steel though, wouldn't be my choice for a squirrel guard. Usually those things are inverted the other way though, with the large size of the pan fanning to the outside, maybe it was modified and put up by someone that didn't know how to install it. :tard::D. My next guess would of been something involving a grain silo. Don't have good enough pictures of the find, location, or backstory.

xAxP5Q0zS1mu._UX970_TTW__.jpg

Last edited:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is a mini-UFO! :dontknow: If you and your friend open it carefully, I think you will find the remains of Little Green Men (LGM)! :happysmiley:

HonkeytonkMan

Jul 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I am going to go with my original idea, The metal and ridges and the way it was modified. Usually those squirrel gaurd are made of stainless and inverted. The galvanized metal would of been more than enough for squirrels to get a grip, plus it rusts, probably wouldn't of been used for any "cable" power or phone line used by utilities.

2 Poultry feeder cover? Modified for something?

https://www.circlecsupply.com/littl...whzWe3hAGTTY3ySd5492s-ht_foIdbxcaAjz6EALw_wcB

I think I would go with one mans attempt to build something to keep the dust out of coming down the stove pipe during the dust storms of the 1930's. Most likely didn't work.

:dontknow:

Dust Bowl era Grain Silo vent? Blown off in a storm?

Whatever it was it was laying on the ground for some time, there are roots coming out the the top. probably the most logical explanation.

Must of looked like a flying saucer when that got ripped off that silo roof.:laughing7::alien::toothy2::flag_red:

Last edited:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As creskol said, it would be helpful to see both pointed ends to see if it is holed, threaded, or closed on one end..etc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread