Advice on searching 1840 blacksmith site

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve got permission to search a 40 acre farm and blacksmith location that dates to 1845. I know the history well, it was in my family from 1895 till 1950 when my grandfather sold it. It stopped being used as a farm at that time and was just used for hunting and hasn’t changed hands again. I know the location of the house, smokehouse and barn. The house and smokehouse were moved about 25 years ago to a pioneer museum 50 miles away.

My question is what should I be finding if I’m close to the blacksmith shop? The U.S. census from 1850-70 had the owners occupation listed as Blacksmith. It’s just a clearing now where the house sat and the barn has collapsed to the ground. I know practically everything was reused and repurposed but there should be something discarded that could help me narrow down the location. Thanks for any suggestions!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have hunted 3 or 4 blacksmithing shops. You should have no problem locating the site, and 50-100ft in most directions. Hope you like iron, because there always has been lots.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread