RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So a few of y'all may remember the relic Springfield musket I found last week in Pa. I stated that it belonged to my 4th Great uncle Daniel Trautman. It seems that I was mistaken.

I started a free trial on Ancestry.com to look up some stuff, and accidentally stumbled upon the grave stone of another Daniel Trautman - this time with a GAR plaque and Co. A. 50th PA on the headstone. So there were two Daniels, and I thought both were the same guy. I cannot find much on this other Daniel, all I know is that he had a wife named Bridget. I honestly don't know how I missed this. I have a cousin who compiled a book for us about our family history, and she must have confused this Daniel for our Daniel because that's how family history has it.

All hope is not lost however, and I believe I have good explanation as to how that musket got there. Daniel Trautmans son, Emanuel, served in the 50th PA with his cousin Elias, and the mystery Daniel. Emanuel may have gifted his father the rifle after the war.

I didn't mean to be misleading, so sorry about that. I kinda got blindsided by it this morning. I'm a bit in shock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread