Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Sarge

    Jan 2006
    Fort LeonardWood, Missouri
    DFX, XLT
    321

    Need info on how to identify Buttons.....?????

    Can anyone give me reference to a website that will help identify military buttons new and old...?

    Thanks,

    RR
    Found myself once, and it wasn't even with the DFX!!!!!

  2. #2
    Charter Member

    May 2005
    6,381
    78 times

    Re: Need info on how to identify Buttons.....?????

    There's no one site that even comes close to covering all buttons, but here are a few links that you might like to check out:

    http://www.waterburybutton.com/patterns.shtml

    http://www.civilwarbuttons.com/

    http://pw1.netcom.com/~jimyce/bm.html

    http://www.oldcopper.org/button_makers.htm

    Also, try to get a copy of Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons by Alphaeus H. Albert


  3. #3
    Sarge

    Jan 2006
    Fort LeonardWood, Missouri
    DFX, XLT
    321

    Re: Need info on how to identify Buttons.....?????

    Quote Originally Posted by PBK
    There's no one site that even comes close to covering all buttons, but here are a few links that you might like to check out:

    http://www.waterburybutton.com/patterns.shtml

    http://www.civilwarbuttons.com/

    http://pw1.netcom.com/~jimyce/bm.html

    http://www.oldcopper.org/button_makers.htm

    Also, try to get a copy of Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons by Alphaeus H. Albert
    Thanks PBK,

    RR
    Found myself once, and it wasn't even with the DFX!!!!!

  4. #4
    us
    Dec 2004
    Troy X5
    7,135
    8 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal then others. -George Orwell

  5. #5
    us
    Dec 2004
    Troy X5
    7,135
    8 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Need info on how to identify Buttons.....?????

    GRRRRRRRRRRR
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal then others. -George Orwell

  6. #6
    Sarge

    Jan 2006
    Fort LeonardWood, Missouri
    DFX, XLT
    321

    Re: Need info on how to identify Buttons.....?????

    Quote Originally Posted by EDDE
    GRRRRRRRRRRR
    GRRR is right.... I feel the same way. I have been trying to research a button I found a while back. I found the button in Waterbury's list but this button in not made in England. It's a Marine Corps button. Not that old I don't think. The benchmark reads:

    B.V.(V may be a Y) Pippey and Co. NY

    I've come to a halt on the research since I can't find the dang think......

    The sites you sent me I've already checked. PBK had sent them too me.......

    Thanks, ED
    Found myself once, and it wasn't even with the DFX!!!!!

  7. #7
    Sarge

    Jan 2006
    Fort LeonardWood, Missouri
    DFX, XLT
    321

    Re: Need info on how to identify Buttons.....?????

    Well, I found the same button on the Waterbury site.....It is under Eagle buttons on the second page, pattern # 05140. Mine is not silver and I believe it never was..... As I stated in my previous PM, this button was not made by Waterbury....

    P.V. Pippey Co....N Y
    Found myself once, and it wasn't even with the DFX!!!!!

  8. #8
    Charter Member

    May 2005
    6,381
    78 times

    Re: Need info on how to identify Buttons.....?????

    Quote Originally Posted by ridge_runner
    P.V. Pippey Co....N Y
    Actual backmark is B. Y. PIPPEY CO...

    Benjamin Y. Pippey was a dry goods and yarns merchant with offices in Boston and New York in the 1860's. He did not actually make buttons but purchased them, at least sometimes customized with his backmark, from manufacturers such as Scovill.

    According to McGuinn & Bazelon's American Military Button Makers and Dealers, Their Backmarks & Dates, "The Pippey b/m is on post-CW USN and USMC buttons."


  9. #9
    us
    Dec 2004
    Troy X5
    7,135
    8 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Need info on how to identify Buttons.....?????

    MAN we need to bottle you 8)
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal then others. -George Orwell

  10. #10
    Sarge

    Jan 2006
    Fort LeonardWood, Missouri
    DFX, XLT
    321

    Re: Need info on how to identify Buttons.....?????

    Quote Originally Posted by PBK
    Quote Originally Posted by ridge_runner
    P.V. Pippey Co....N Y
    Actual backmark is B. Y. PIPPEY CO...

    Benjamin Y. Pippey was a dry goods and yarns merchant with offices in Boston and New York in the 1860's. He did not actually make buttons but purchased them, at least sometimes customized with his backmark, from manufacturers such as Scovill.

    According to McGuinn & Bazelon's American Military Button Makers and Dealers, Their Backmarks & Dates, "The Pippey b/m is on post-CW USN and USMC buttons."
    PBK,

    Thanks. That's a lot of info and pretty much all I needed to know. I've had this button for a while and have always wondered about it's history. So, it's probably correct to say that Waterbury made the button for Pippey? Do you have a timeline in which his benchmarks were used, dates I mean? That's the last question that I have.

    Much appreciated, and yes, I agree with the previous post. You are a man with knowledge!!!!!

    RR
    Found myself once, and it wasn't even with the DFX!!!!!

  11. #11
    Charter Member

    May 2005
    6,381
    78 times

    Re: Need info on how to identify Buttons.....?????

    Sorry I can't give you the exact dates that Pippey was in business, but I do know that the firm was active at least as early as 1861, and as late as 1884. Waterbury may well have provided buttons to Pippey, but Scovill is the only manufacturer whose name I've seen specifically linked to him.


  12. #12
    Sarge

    Jan 2006
    Fort LeonardWood, Missouri
    DFX, XLT
    321

    Re: Need info on how to identify Buttons.....?????

    Quote Originally Posted by PBK
    Sorry I can't give you the exact dates that Pippey was in business, but I do know that the firm was active at least as early as 1861, and as late as 1884. Waterbury may well have provided buttons to Pippey, but Scovill is the only manufacturer whose name I've seen specifically linked to him.
    Thanks PBK for all your help.

    RR
    Found myself once, and it wasn't even with the DFX!!!!!

 

 

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

antique button identification
,

antique buttons identification

,

how to identify military buttons

,

identify buttons

,

identify military buttons

,
identifying antique buttons
,
military buttons identification
,

old military buttons

,
old military buttons identification
,
vintage button identification
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3