Need info on how to identify Buttons.....?????

OP
OP
ridge_runner

ridge_runner

Jan 15, 2006
Fort LeonardWood, Missouri
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GRRRRRRRRRRR :D :D :D :D

OP
OP
ridge_runner

ridge_runner

Jan 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT
EDDE said:
GRRRRRRRRRRR :D :D :D :D

GRRR is right.... I feel the same way. I have been trying to research a button I found a while back. I found the button in Waterbury's list but this button in not made in England. It's a Marine Corps button. Not that old I don't think. The benchmark reads:

B.V.(V may be a Y) Pippey and Co. NY

I've come to a halt on the research since I can't find the dang think......

The sites you sent me I've already checked. PBK had sent them too me.......

Thanks, ED

OP
OP
ridge_runner

ridge_runner

Jan 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT
Well, I found the same button on the Waterbury site.....It is under Eagle buttons on the second page, pattern # 05140. Mine is not silver and I believe it never was..... As I stated in my previous PM, this button was not made by Waterbury....

P.V. Pippey Co....N Y

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
ridge_runner said:
P.V. Pippey Co....N Y

Actual backmark is B. Y. PIPPEY CO...

Benjamin Y. Pippey was a dry goods and yarns merchant with offices in Boston and New York in the 1860's. He did not actually make buttons but purchased them, at least sometimes customized with his backmark, from manufacturers such as Scovill.

According to McGuinn & Bazelon's American Military Button Makers and Dealers, Their Backmarks & Dates, "The Pippey b/m is on post-CW USN and USMC buttons."

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MAN we need to bottle you 8)

OP
OP
ridge_runner

ridge_runner

Jan 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT
PBK said:
ridge_runner said:
P.V. Pippey Co....N Y

Actual backmark is B. Y. PIPPEY CO...

Benjamin Y. Pippey was a dry goods and yarns merchant with offices in Boston and New York in the 1860's. He did not actually make buttons but purchased them, at least sometimes customized with his backmark, from manufacturers such as Scovill.

According to McGuinn & Bazelon's American Military Button Makers and Dealers, Their Backmarks & Dates, "The Pippey b/m is on post-CW USN and USMC buttons."

PBK,

Thanks. That's a lot of info and pretty much all I needed to know. I've had this button for a while and have always wondered about it's history. So, it's probably correct to say that Waterbury made the button for Pippey? Do you have a timeline in which his benchmarks were used, dates I mean???? That's the last question that I have.

Much appreciated, and yes, I agree with the previous post. You are a man with knowledge!!!!!

RR

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Sorry I can't give you the exact dates that Pippey was in business, but I do know that the firm was active at least as early as 1861, and as late as 1884. Waterbury may well have provided buttons to Pippey, but Scovill is the only manufacturer whose name I've seen specifically linked to him.

OP
OP
ridge_runner

ridge_runner

Jan 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT
PBK said:
Sorry I can't give you the exact dates that Pippey was in business, but I do know that the firm was active at least as early as 1861, and as late as 1884. Waterbury may well have provided buttons to Pippey, but Scovill is the only manufacturer whose name I've seen specifically linked to him.

Thanks PBK for all your help.

RR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread