Winchester, VA Battles

RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, GPX4500, AT Pro, F75 LTD, DFX, MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here are just a few things that were pulled from the ground recently. Since coming into the civil war relic hunting game so late anything I find is a big deal to me. Back in the day you could get 10 times more than this just by kicking up the ground. Anyway, enjoy relic hunting.

If you want to see one of the best civil war relics don't forget to visit my other post.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,11390.0.html

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• fnt.jpg
    fnt.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 620

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I used to live in Winchester as a preteen...too bad I didn't know what a detector was. I remember a neighbor finding a CW bullet in a plowed field and we thought that was the coolest thing. Heck, I didn't even know what the Civil War was then. :(

OP
OP
RockyDig

RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have just one question....where did he throw them?!?

If I knew the stuff I played with as a kid was going to be worth money I wouldn't have destroyed the Dan Marino and John Elway rookie cards I had.? Oh well....live and learn.

jmginmd

Nov 10, 2004
RockyDig,

Is there a lot of places to search in Winchester? I live in Sterling and can't get permission to search anywhere. I was thinking of checking Winchester out sometime.

OP
OP
RockyDig

RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are quite a few places to dig here in Winchester. There are construction sites everywhere. You can ask them for permission or just wait until they are finished working. Everywhere you look around town nowadays seems to be fresh dirt. One place that will be dirt for a while is where I-81, 37 S, and 11 S all meet. They didn't calculate the dirt and now there are 2 huge piles. Everyone packed up and left. I found an Excelsior button there and a Spencer shell but I've only been there once. I could say that it is hunted out but that'll be for you to decide.

You can also go to a construction site across from Jim Stutzman Chevrolet. I found some bullets and eagle buttons. It has A LOT of ground to cover. That can get you started if you are desperate to relic hunt.

Good Luck!!

jmginmd

Nov 10, 2004
I have been dying to get out. I may give Winchester a shot this weekend. I will definately try the areas you mentioned if I do. Thank you for your response.

P

Parangjim

Rocky Dig,
Have the cops given you any grief about detecting? That new bill makes it illegal to detect public land and private land without written permission or to dig anything over 50 years old? Or did I read that wrong?
I've been thinking about moving out of the state to a friendlier MDing area.
jim

OP
OP
RockyDig

RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just the other day I was stepping over a posted guardrail when I heard...."Hey, do you have permission to be here?" I turned around and sure enough it was a cop. I told him that I didn't have permission. He said that he hadn't received any complaints about this construction area so he didn't care what I did. (This is not one of the sites I mentioned, sorry, can't give them all away) I was surprised but happy. I was caught there at 4AM one morning and given a warning. So, some cops understand that we are not doing anything wrong. I hope it doesn't get to the point that they start targeting relic hunters but for now it's not too bad.

I feel that if I need to get into a little trouble to save a few pieces of American history then I'm willing to do it. That's kinda what this country is about.

As for the laws, I don't keep up with them, nor do I care to. I just stay off the National Battlefields and everything else is fair game.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread