Opinion wanted: Are there really still undiscovered/non-hunted CW camp sites?

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum, NTR. The answer is YES. Don't confuse campsites with battlesites. For every battle on record, there are probably thousands or even tens of thousands of campsites involved in the travel requirements of the armies. A group of soldiers of any appreciable size could travel only an average of 15 to 20 miles per day; therefore there are untold numbers of campsites. The campsites would vary according to the size of the unit (or number of units) and the length of time spent there. There were overnight camps; picket camps used by maybe 4 to 6 soldiers; and long-term camps with more permanent structures. Research your area for any battles and trace the most probable routes of travel by the different armies to and from the battlefields. The ORs will help greatly here. There is a book / CD named Exploring Civil War Campsites, by Dave Poche and Wayne Rex that will teach you everything you need to know about tracking down CW campsites as well as how to decipher the camp's layout. I have recommended this info package on other threads because it is an outstanding source book. I will PM you with the info of where I bought it because the dealer is not a member of this forum. ::)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There's probaby some that you'll never find and I'll guarantee you'll be long and gone before the next generation start's to think about finding them.It's never ending with place's like this.Locally.....do as much research as you can.Like SStack said....."don't confuse campsite's with battlesite's".The battle was the destination,We're all looking for the same honey-hole.....Best of Luck to ya and HH!!

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Shortstack said:
Welcome to the forum, NTR. The answer is YES. Don't confuse campsites with battlesites. For every battle on record, there are probably thousands or even tens of thousands of campsites involved in the travel requirements of the armies. A group of soldiers of any appreciable size could travel only an average of 15 to 20 miles per day; therefore there are untold numbers of campsites. The campsites would vary according to the size of the unit (or number of units) and the length of time spent there. There were overnight camps; picket camps used by maybe 4 to 6 soldiers; and long-term camps with more permanent structures. Research your area for any battles and trace the most probable routes of travel by the different armies to and from the battlefields. The ORs will help greatly here. There is a book / CD named Exploring Civil War Campsites, by Dave Poche and Wayne Rex that will teach you everything you need to know about tracking down CW campsites as well as how to decipher the camp's layout. I have recommended this info package on other threads because it is an outstanding source book. I will PM you with the info of where I bought it because the dealer is not a member of this forum. ::)

Yep, they are out there by the droves. Just do your best research and find them. Lots of stuff never got recorded by the officers. I find most of my places by finding old diaries from troops.

I bought the CD from Dave Poche as well because of Shortstack's recommendation. While it is helpful in some areas it lacks in alot of others. From what I have seen it is great for Union or Confederate campsites where the officers had prior military training, but it lacks for Confederate campsites that are in my area. We had mostly Confederate commanders that never recieved military training so the order of encampment differs from what is in Poche's CD. Alot of the troops in this area were guerillas and there was no real order of encampment. It's alot different from what is described on the CD.

Alot of the content on the CD is useless unless you have Microsoft Excel. You will also need a metal detector and a good GPS possibly with a SD card if you want to utilize this CD for all it's worth.
All in all the CD is good and I would recommend it. After you purchase the CD you can call or email Dave and he will try to answer any questions you have.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Re: Opinion wanted: Are there really still undiscovered/non-hunted CW camp sites

Yes they are out there there is one less in Tn as some buddies of mine found one that hundreds and hundreds of bullets and other goodies have came out of over the last three years. I am always hunting for one my self. It will not be easy and may take years but keep trying and you will find one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread