Mexico - Guns, Swords and old Spanish Bits - Can I keep them?

A

ArizonaWren

I am doing some research, trying to determine the antiquities laws of Mexico.

I hope somebody on this forum may know the rules concerning Mexico and Metal Detecting.

This is purely hypothetical; if I found some old items in Mexico, such as old guns and swords, can I keep them, or must I turn them into the Mexican government? What about old gold or silver coins?

Before taking a detecting trip into Mexico should I get some kind of permit?

Any and all thoughts on the subject are greatly appreciated.
- Wren

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't tell anyone in Mex. anything. I also wouldn't let anyone there know you're detecting or see you detecting. You may end up in a Mex. jail while losing "any and all" of your finds, your detector, your money, equipment, and anything else of value. The police AND the Gov. there are corrupt, and will confiscate your belongings while making up their own law as they go. They will sell you a permit, and then you'll have to reveal where you're hunting so they can "watch you" incase you find anything, and then they'll "back-stab" you...

From the sounds of what you're planning to do, you could get yourself into serious trouble over there while losing everything you have in your possesion, and end up in a Mex. jail cell for who knows how long.

It's the same as attempting to salvage treasure from cuban waters,

get caught, and they will shoot 1st (50 cal. mounted on their boats), and ask questions later.

It ain't worth it in my book (but to each his own).

Good luck if you do,

Lonewolfe

navychief1968

Jan 7, 2005
Water Valley, MS
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
ArizonaWren,

I have to agree with lonewolf. I live in South Texas and have also dreamed of heading south of the boarder in search of lost treasure. One thing always stops me though - my knowledge of how easy it is to get jammed up with the "authorities" down there. Your best bet would be to limit your searches to North of the Rio Grande. There are plenty of excellent locations on this side of the border, which used to be Spanish Colonial or old Mexican sites you can hut. An example: There is a story that Poncho Villa buried a unknown amount of gold near a slaughter house in Robstown, Texas and don't forget one of the last battles of the Civil War was fought just outside of Brownsville, Texas along the Rio Grande.

Good Luck... and stay safe

Chris Reynolds
Senior Chief Petty Officer, USN

Gold Digger

Jul 21, 2003
The United States of Texas
Funny thing... I went to the Garrett factory the other day and was checking out the TA250. While talking to the CSR she mentioned that there has been a BIG surge of Mexican's coming in and buying top of the line detectors and taking them to Mexico. It was no big deal but that she noticed a sharp increase in the numbers of them heading south of the border. Things that make ya go Hmmm

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
AZ. You know as well as we do that once you cross that border you run into the boogie man around every corner,
and if you plan on hunting in any remote area there is nothing to help you from the hmmm how can I say this in a nice Texas term ::)
Wet-backs and smugglers headed for the border. most are looking for any means of opportunity to make there trip easy and what you may have in your pocket might be what they want and who is going to say anything about a white boy dead in the desert
I don't think they will seak out the 1st border patrole to tell.
If your planing on going way down in Mexico you will be safer but you will need to get a permit to MD I understand that is no problem.
I've been to Mexico quite a few times with no problem in the past but I did stay in public areas and came home before dark.

Good luck
Red

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread