Is this a two hole privy?

Hounddog

Mar 23, 2005
I have very limited knowledge on theses things so any info./tips would very helpfull.
Some background info. on this site.
First found on 1904 USGS map as being the site of a church (this is the oldest map of this area I have looked at, first homesteads in this area 1803/4).
On a 1950 USGS map shows the structure but not a church.
I am not finding a cellar, I did find a well a pipe was dropped in it and filled (about 8 ft away from well dug a 1941 coin)
This site was on the inside of a T in the road a road drainage ditch has been dug along the back side of this site.
I am thinking that's when the well was redone and when the coin was dropped. Maybe the cellar hole was filled at that time also. Looking at how trees where planted. My best estimate the church was just in front of what maybe a privy facings the more main of the two roads.
I have also found toy parts from the 40's/50's along the dug ditch.

The pic, If it is a privy I never found one with a concrete top before. Poking a stick in went real easy about a foot then was more like pushing a stick in the ground around it. The stick was covered in a grayish muck unlike the ground around it. The holes are about 18 inches across.
What do you think privy or something else?

Attachments

• twin holes2.jpg
    twin holes2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,282
S

stefen

Could be a septic tank...never have seen one that is circular though...

Smell the muck...! That would be an obvious clue as to its use...

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
looks like there were manhole covers over the holes. im a master plumber and im sure that if theyre not still there, at one time there were pipes down there. either storm or sewer or both . sometimes there are vent boxes cut into the concrete also. is there any metal in the concrete like it was holding something like a manhole in place?

chainsaw

Mar 6, 2008
This is a FDR Privy. (Franklin Delenore Roosevelt) The government put privy's in as part of a sanitry health program. They all have concrete tops and usually are only 5-6- feet deep. I dig alot of privy's but I won't dig an FDR. Not early enough to have anything good in them, unless you like screw top bottles.

lostmichigan

Oct 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need advice with a privy dig!

I need some advice.
I dug out what I thought was a privy. The area was a square depression about 10'×10' .

As I began, I dug through brick and clay and sand and trash like square nails etc... What I did not notice were very distinct layers. It seemed like it was filled in once with random m stuff. Anyway
I dug a hole 5' in diameter and 8' deep.
And I hit water .
I began to think maybe this was not a privy at all but a water well.
I tried to take samples from the bottom but nothing came up in the way of bottles etc..
My question is what should I do now? How should I proceed ? Is there a way to keep digging? Can I expect treasures?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread