Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Sambo Cap Gun-1897-Before & After Pics

Breezie,
You have done it again, lady! What a terrific find!! And, what a super of job of recognizing what you found!!! I know you just hit the "banner wagon" with the bracelet, but, I am throwing in a vote for this beautifully restored cap pistol. These have GOT to be very rare finds, indeed!

BANNER!!! :hello2: :notworthy:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Breezie said:
Creskol, Oh, I see now; it was an optical illusion or either my tired eyes LOL. Now that I have the correct perspective on the pic, it looks to be an antique 'shooter marble holder.' Super find, and very rare too! :thumbsup:

Thanks HeavyMetal and Still water! :hello2:

Thanks Breezie .. Sorry .. I don't mean to steal any thunder from your great find and restoration, but do you know how old the holder might be, and do you think the ball is original to the piece? Seems like the same material, and fits perfectly.

OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

creskol said:
Breezie said:
Creskol, Oh, I see now; it was an optical illusion or either my tired eyes LOL. Now that I have the correct perspective on the pic, it looks to be an antique 'shooter marble holder.' Super find, and very rare too! :thumbsup:

Thanks Breezie .. Sorry .. I don't mean to steal any thunder from your great find and restoration, but do you know how old the holder might be, and do you think the ball is original to the piece? Seems like the same material, and fits perfectly.

Oh, Creskol, this post is big enough for the both of us ;D and I don't mind at all; actually, I think your find will enhance it. I am not 100% sure that it is a shooter marble holder, but I think it is, and the marble is original to the piece. Do you think it is lead or pot metal?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Breezie said:
creskol said:
Breezie said:

Oh, Creskol, this post is big enough for the both of us ;D and I don't mind at all; actually, I think your find will enhance it. I am not 100% sure that it is a shooter marble holder, but I think it is, and the marble is original to the piece. Do you think it is lead or pot metal?

It seems fairly dense and heavy to be pot metal, but I suppose it could be.

OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Roland58 said:
Breezie,
You have done it again, lady! What a terrific find!! And, what a super of job of recognizing what you found!!! I know you just hit the "banner wagon" with the bracelet, but, I am throwing in a vote for this beautifully restored cap pistol. These have GOT to be very rare finds, indeed!

Roland, thank you for the kudos and the Banner Vote. Yes, these Sambo Cap Guns are very rare, and the originals are selling for around $250.00, which is alot of cha-ching for a tiny toy gun. Remember TheCannonballGuy is the one who turned it into a swan from an ugly duckling. ;D Breezie

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Breezie said:
Roland58 said:
Breezie,

Roland, thank you for the kudos and the Banner Vote. Yes, these Sambo Cap Guns are very rare, and the originals are selling for around $250.00, which is alot of cha-ching for a tiny toy gun. Remember TheCannonballGuy is the one who turned it into a swan from an ugly duckling. ;D Breezie

Yeah, when I said "beautifully restored", that was directed toward TCG. I certainly hope he takes the time to fill everyone's request for the specifics on how the electrolysis was accomplished....I know I am interested. A simple hand drawn schematic and some procedural details would be wonderful! Please, please, please?

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What a knockout Iron signal find!!! This is why its always good to dig those big iron signals, that is a TERRIFIC piece of Americana, congrats Breezie! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :wink:

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro

Sweet Cap gun and excellent restoration job, :headbang: !

TommNJ

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Fantastic post! I think that gun should be up on top!

teleman 2525

Bronze Member
May 9, 2010
newport vermont
Detector(s) used
whites xlt minelab explorer se pro

truly one very great find better then old coins its cool history and super job by all on the restore

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Neil in West Jersey said:

Well, then let's see some banner votes!! Between the discovery/recognition and outstanding restoration, not to mention the rarity........this item deserves a BANNER VOTE!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is cool as all get out, Breezie! :icon_pirat: Crazy to see what was under that blob of rust, huh? :icon_thumright:

Nana :)

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great restoration CBG...congrats on the find Breezie.

What was used as the conducting solution during this process?

Awesome stuff.

NJ

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009

Not withstanding how cool and unique the cap pistol is, the work to restore it is even more amazing. It's now a beautiful piece, not just a rusty find.
You have a keeper, to be sure.

OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Roland58 said:
Neil in West Jersey said:

Well, then let's see some banner votes!! Between the discovery/recognition and outstanding restoration, not to mention the rarity........this item deserves a BANNER VOTE!

Roland, Neil in West Jersey, Teleman and others : Thank you for the Banner votes. Yes, Sambo would look sweet among the coins & buttons on the banner, and would fulfill Gypsy Heart's(Queen of Rust) thoughts of having some 'rusty iron' on the Banner. :laughing7: Sambo is certainly rare and different, plus has the Black American flare. Grouping this with my Slave Trade Bracelet, it seems unusal pieces follow me home! :laughing7:

Nana, Mcogan, Sentinel, TommNJ, and DMN thank you for the kudos I appreciate you taking your time to post. :thumbsup:

N.J.THer said:
Great restoration CBG...congrats on the find Breezie.

What was used as the conducting solution during this process?

Awesome stuff.

NJ

NJ, TheCannonballGuy can tell you exactly what he used, but I think it was water & Arm/Hammer Washing Powder.

I've posted a pic I made from Charles W. Best book, Cast Iron Toy Pistols. Sambo is on page 124

Again, thank you for your support ;D Breezie

Attachments

• SamboBook.jpg
    SamboBook.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,552

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Rare Sambo Cap Gun-1897-Before & After Pics

Thanks...I've only used salt water but with results like these I may have to try A&H.

NJ

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I cant believe what was under that crud......outstanding.....I like finds like this that you don't see every day. You have made some great finds lately.....hope your good luck continues. :icon_thumleft:

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other

Wow!!!!!What a transformation!!!I'm also crying that I left 3 guns back at a dump site 3 years ago :'( :'( :'(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread