Rare Sambo Cap Gun-1897-Before & After Pics

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Re: Rare Sambo Cap Gun-1897-Before & After Pics

WOW!!..When i read the original post on this i was like..."ah ok..good luck with that one!" Shows me what a lunatic i am eh? :laughing9:

Stunning result! Excellent work Breezie on finding it in the first place, and for having the nuts to try your first electrolysis! Also excellent work from cannonball guy on the completion!

I'll post Breezies original post so folks can scroll down and read cannonball guys detailed process and setup with diagram, for those who'd like to know. :)

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,419156.0.html

Well done you two! :thumbsup:

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Dano Sverige said:
WOW!!..When i read the original post on this i was like..."ah ok..good luck with that one!" Shows me what a lunatic i am eh? :laughing9:

Stunning result! Excellent work Breezie on finding it in the first place, and for having the nuts to try your first electrolysis! Also excellent work from cannonball guy on the completion!

I'll post Breezies original post so folks can scroll down and read cannonball guys detailed process and setup with diagram, for those who'd like to know. :)

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,419156.0.html

Well done you two! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the cross-reference, Dano. However, after looking at the schematic for a bit, I find something that seems to be contradictory. In the description, TCG mentions that the "red" wire (positive) should be connected to the anode (bucket/metal container) and the "black" wire (negative) to be connected to the item undergoing the electrolysis. The diagram shows another lead going to "ground" (which should be the negative side), which is the same lead as that connected to the bucket.

It just doesn't make sense that the positive side of the charger would be connected to ground. Explanations anyone??

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice cleaning job & bizarre item :icon_thumright:

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Finally! How it warms my heart to see some "rust "featured .Excellent job Breezie!!! I love it!

OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Gypsy Heart said:
Finally! How it warms my heart to see some "rust "featured on the banner!!! Excellent job Breezie!!! I love it!

Ahhh, one problem Gypsy, it didn't make the banner :dontknow: According to this post, some folks have voted for it, so maybe there is still some hope :headbang: GO RUST! Actually, I think this is one of my coolest finds ever. Breezie

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Well it has my vote...LOL...I ,being the connoisseur of fine rust artifacts place this one at the top of the list for wonderful finds...and firmly believes it should be on the banner!

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Gypsy Heart said:
Well it has my vote...LOL...I ,being the connoisseur of fine rust artifacts place this one at the top of the list for wonderful finds...and firmly believes it should be on the banner!

Good show, Gypsy!!! It's nice to find someone else that sees "treasure" in rust! I'm still pushing for Breezie banner votes because of the original recognition of what she had found and the glorious restoration performed by TCG! (not to mention the education a lot of us received on how to restore the iron!!) This deserves a banner slot!!! :hello2:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

Never seen one of those anywhere, rusted or otherwise. Adding my vote for banner too.

You deserve it, Breezie!

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Luv the Sambo B.
K@@L Be@NS.

OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

RTDE3, Lookin, Rob, Dano, Cru, Tube, and Nova thank you for your supporting posts :thumbsup: Rob, dang, I hate you left 3 guns back at a dump site. I've made that mistake before, now I bring home everything, even ticks and few mosquitoes during the summer time :laughing7: Roland, hopefully TCG will answer your question dealing with the electrolysis.

I thought I'd post a pic of the Sambo's 'innards' before putting him back together. TCG told me it was totally intact when it came out of the tank, and when he starting removing the shell, it opened-up. I find the simplicity of the mechanisms quite fascinating. As you can see, there are only 2 moving parts, and the metal "C" shaped piece is what locks/cocks the hammer.

Thanks again,
Breezie

PS: The inside looks rusty, but that is an optical illusion from the camera flash. It is not as black & finished as the outside, but cleaner than the pic shows.

Attachments

• SamboInside.jpg
    SamboInside.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,157
OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

treasure diver said:
I thought I found an old cap gun,But I was wrong. Great find Brezzy.

TreasureD & Indy, thanks for the compliments. So TreasureD, if it wasn't an old cap gun, what was it? When I found Sambo, my heart skipped a few beats when I looked into the hole because I thought it was a Civil War era boot gun. After I brought it home, I was thinking the large glob on top was a rust ball. After about an hour of going through Charles Best book, I realized it was Sambo. ;D Breezie

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Breezie said:
I thought this website was VERY interesting :thumbsup:

http://sableimages.com/cart/sambo-cap-gun-p-62.html

Wow! I knew it was a good one, even without any knowledge of such things. This, however, exceeds my expectations and is just another reason it should be on the BANNER!!!!

C'mon folks, let's get some more votes on this one! Banner! Banner! Banner!

treasure diver

Mar 17, 2006
eastern KY.

Breezie mine was a cap gun, but not as old or great of a find as yours. The one I found was a Roy Rodgers, old but no comparison to the Sambo you found.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AWESOME FIND!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I nominated this as a BANNER find!!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I agree...this is definitely BANNER material...Congrats Breezie :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

I may not speak for everyone BUT This is the kind of find that gets my juices flowing...I Love it!

HH Joe

OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Roland, TreasureFind and Joe, Thank you so much for the banner votes. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed on the banner, although I don't think it all depends on the 'number' of votes (but I would think the more, the better.) The admins have to feel it is worthy. Each time I log-in to TNet, I look up to see if SAMBO's smiling face is there. A friend (local, not TNet member) of mine said it might not make the banner because of a 'racial' thing. Of course, I would think in 2011 we would all be mature & intelligent to know this was 'the way things were' back in the 1880's. Again, thank you for your support. :thumbsup: Breezie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread