May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Rare Sambo Cap Gun-1897-Before & After Pics

Breezie, that is a great find, and TCG did a fantastic job. Nice going to both of you...........Rich :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Breezie said:
Roland, TreasureFind and Joe, Thank you so much for the banner votes. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed on the banner, although I don't think it all depends on the 'number' of votes (but I would think the more, the better.) The admins have to feel it is worthy. Each time I log-in to TNet, I look up to see if SAMBO's smiling face is there. A friend (local, not TNet member) of mine said it might not make the banner because of a 'racial' thing. Of course, I would think in 2011 we would all be mature & intelligent to know this was 'the way things were' back in the 1880's. Again, thank you for your support. :thumbsup: Breezie

I didn't realize it took more than just the "number of votes" to make the banner. Surely, as you said, in this day and age, your find is not being held back for real or imagined racial reasons.
If that is, in fact, the reason, I would find that more of a racial statement than putting the find on the banner! This is simply history and a part of our heritage whether people are repulsed by it or not. Admittedly, there were and, in many cases, still are, examples of disparaging racial actions, but, to use this childs toy as a racial epithet in this setting would be wrong. I think TNet is made up of people adult enough to recognize that as fact.

Until it happens, I'm still pushing for BANNER!

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

what a beautiful cap gun!!!!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Breezie !!!!YOU gotta be kidding. thats amazing....And what a cool piece

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm convinced that there must be some sort of technical trouble with the banner, otherwise, the Sambo cap gun would have been pictured up there by now

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great find and great results on the restoration. I hope TCG can give a play by play to his process, otherwise, he will be flooded with hundreds of questions! I have a whole attic full of junk that needs some serious restoration.

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Breezie, that is a cool find.

Cannonballguys method is the best i have ever seen.

I say banner for both of you.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice end result!! Yea ,the Cannon Ball Guy is awesome.He helped me out with my first cannon ball about 5 years ago. It turned out nice after using his elecotrolisis treatment and he also gave me pointers how to get through the wood plug and get the powder out . Very neat relic you found! :coffee2:

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Breeze thats one awesome toy handgun,nice find:leprechaun-hat:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I told ya then and I'll tell ya again, That was is an Awesome find Breezie, Just Amazing HH

glenda

Oct 3, 2013
gods country upper michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
omg..I have one just like this! we where digging for a doublewide home and my father dug this up with his tractor. he claims that my piece of property use to be a stagecoach stop from greenbay wisc to sault st marie Michigan. Also found a lot of old medicine bottles one looks like a little glass urinal lol, a couple clay pipes and some pottery...I have looked for this or anyone with info on this gun for awhile now and so happy I found this sight. Iam interested in the valu also if anyone knows or can direct me to someone I could find out. not really interested in selling its a really neat item

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When Breezie mailed me the Sambo pistol to do the Electrolysis on it, I could tell from its relatively light weight that it was made of comparatively thin cast-iron. I know from experience that using high-amperage electricity on such items can cause loss of detail if an iron relic has much corrosion. So I adjusted my battery charger's current-flow to 1/2-amp. Lower amperage means a "gentler" cleaning.

That being said, it was fortunate that Breezie found her cast-iron cap pistol in soil that was "kind" to iron. (Some soil-types are much more corrosive to iron.) What Electrolysis does is break the electrochemical bond which holds the rust-concretion onto the iron's surface. Electrolysis cannot miraculously "put back" iron molecules which have been corroded away. In other words, it is not a magical cure for the rust-pits which often occur while the iron is in the ground for decades or centuries. I must mention that, because I don't want folks to think Electrolysis can make every iron relic you find look as good as Breezie's cap-pistol turned out.

Actually, the most important reason to do Electrolysis on excavated iron is that it not only makes the rust-concretion easy to remove, it electrochemically neutralizes the rusting which has been happening deep down inside the "micropores" in the iron. Electrolysis prevents the iron from continuing to deteriorate after you dig it up. Unlike other metals such as brass, lead, copper, etc, dug-up iron must be cleaned with Electrolysis, to prevent the corrosion from continuing. (Using a hammer to remove the rust-concretion on the iron's surface doesn't stop corrosion from continuing to happen down inside the iron's pores.)

After doing Electrolysis, and any "fine-detail finishing" work that is needed to remove small bits of remaining rust-crust, the iron should be coated with an oxygen-proof sealant, such as Polyurethane. I suggest MinWax "Satin Finish" Polyurethane (not the high-gloss formula). It costs about $6.50 for a spray-can of it at WalMart. MinWax "Satin Finish" Polyurethane is what I used on Breezie's cap-pistol.

Very informative and much appreciated. Beautiful work sir. Brother Al.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6.jpg Aawesome-meter.jpg

CoinmasterIV

Jan 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
All of them! ;-) Been land hunting since 1973 - water since 1986. E-Trac/Whites Spectrum XLT/Tesoro Tiger Shark/Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an INCREDIBLE find! And one you must be VERY proud to display after a fantastic restoration! Banner for sure.....

~ Alan

jcobb

May 23, 2008
Ft. Worth Tejas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030...AT Pro & Garrett Pro Pointer
Bounty Hunter 505 (Loaner)
This is the coolest find I've ever seen!!!
Congrats it turned out beautiful

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who would have thought that rusty little cap gun would turn out to be such a beautiful piece. I also learned some things to change on my electrolysis set up. What a great story from rust to treasure.
You have my vote.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW! ...That's wonderful Breezie, I'd not seen this before and with such great results in restoration. Thanks also to CanonBallGuy for seeing to it that this treasure was restored so superbly.:hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread