65.8 KB · Views: 307

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time try this method will save metal loss and get all the rust off - I discovered it on YOUTUBE
1 part molasses to 9 parts hot water , stir well , put the mixture and the item in a Tupper ware container and seal
2 weeks late all the rust will have come off and risen to the top
then just rinse with cold water
OK done laughing its actually scientific
The mixture will start to ferment, the fermentation needs oxygen , since the container is sealed , the fermentation tales the oxygen from the rust to continue the process Give it a try less metal loss

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Your big key came out nice. I am trying the apple cider vinegar on a smaller key. A LOT of rust came off after a week. I'll leave it in another week. I might try Cityboy's method on some other iron.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JEFF H - Let me know how my system worked

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love the old key!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Whatever you did was perfect,it has just the right amount of rust taken off to get the details visable. Never heard of the molasses treatment Citiboy but it sure is good on biscuits.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever you did was perfect,it has just the right amount of rust taken off to get the details visable. Never heard of the molasses treatment Citiboy but it sure is good on biscuits.
Coily ----- Check YOUTUBE there are several examples of it being done Someone said they use AG molasses I just used regular supermarket stuff works fine , I am finding though that 3 weeks is too long for smaller objects 1 week works fine

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on that key! I use the same method & just finished an iron key, although not as nice as yours.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job on the restoration romeo, the key looks amazing! :occasion14:
Personally, I use a tumbler for all of my antique iron finds, it removes all of the surface corrosion without removing the metal underneath. :thumbsup:

Dave

I-DIG-IT

Silver Member
Mar 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use EVAPO-RUST with great results, Search results for: 'evapo-rust'. Evapo-Rust is a breakthrough new technology that removes rust while leaving surrounding materials unharmed!

Evapo-Rust is a safe, effective and fast-acting rust remover. In addition, it’s easy to use. Simply soak your rusty object in Evapo-Rust for 20 minutes to remove light rust or overnight to remove extremely heavy rust. Evapo-Rust™ will not harm surrounding materials like steel, plastic, rubber or paint. It is a water-based, non-toxic liquid that is environmentally safe to use – no fumes or bad odors. The biodegradable solution requires no special equipment or scrubbing to use and can be safely disposed into sewers and drains. Evapo-Rust has an indefinite shelf life and can be used over and over again until it stops working. Unused portions can even be returned to the bottle for re-use later.

Evapo-Rust can even be used as a rust-inhibitor! Just dip a clean object in Evapo-Rust and allow to air dry to prevent rust for up to two weeks.

Evapo-Rust works well on hand tools, engine components, gun parts, gardening tools and much more.

How does Evapo-Rust Work?
Unlike some products that use acids to remove rust, Evapo-Rust uses a chemical process called chelation to selectively remove rust. Chelation is a process where a large synthetic molecule forms a bond with metals and holds them in a solution. The active ingredient in Evapo-Rust bonds to rust while leaving surrounding materials unharmed. the P.S. more rust the longer you soak. never use on real real rusted object yet. But I well try some time and leave the result.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread