WawaDuane

Oct 12, 2013
Northern Ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been cleaning up this old stove side I dug the other day (14"W x 17"L) after a good scrubbing and a wash with a 3200 psi pressure washer it's starting to take shape. I'm looking for opinions on what to do with it? Paint it black & outline the decorative parts in white? Seal it like it is? Either way I'm sure the boss won't like it in the house.

It's actually upside down in the pics, the flowers go on top, not the bottom. Any opinions on it's future?

IMG_8229.JPG IMG_8119.JPG IMG_8231.JPG
stove_parlor_wild_rose_no_9_cast_iron_pierced_jewett_root_buffalo_ny.jpg stove-box-cast-iron-paw-feet-ca20622.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8119.JPG
    IMG_8119.JPG
    663.9 KB · Views: 178

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't get all the rust off and try painting it, the rust will come through the layer of paint. Power washing won't take the rust off. You've got to do it with electrolysis. Cast iron takes a lot longer to clean with electrolysis then steel. I've cleaned quite a few stove doors with electrolysis.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like the pattern on it, old iron all the way.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would find some other way of stabilizing the metal if you're not comfortable with attempting electrolysis. :icon_scratch:
Once you get it stabilized, I like your idea of the black paint with white on the raised highlights, or do some more online research and find out what it originally looked like! :thumbsup:

Either way it's a beautiful piece and I wish I'd found it... my wife probably wouldn't let it in our house either! :laughing7:
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread