Latest Tumbled Rinds with a Silver Surprise!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I found all of these items on the last hunt I posted here on Sept. 11. I've pictured the before & after pics of the finds! :thumbsup:
I tested the 'cleaned' engraved pocket watch case ... turns out it's 'Sterling Silver'! :o
If any of you guys out there feel that finds should not be cleaned or restored like this please let me know, as I'm interested in hearing peoples opinions either for or against what I'm doing.

Personally, the reason I tumble my 'junk' brass, iron and copper relics is to make them more presentable for display.
I won't tumble anything that might be rare or have any historical value ... believe me I've already learned that lesson! :tongue3:

Thanks for looking and best of luck to you! :metaldetector:
Dave

Attachments

• SDC19552.JPG
    SDC19552.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 233
  • SDC19575.JPG
    SDC19575.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 226
  • SDC19553.JPG
    SDC19553.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 227
  • SDC19576.JPG
    SDC19576.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 243
  • SDC19580.JPG
    SDC19580.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 236
  • SDC19568.JPG
    SDC19568.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 243
  • SDC19567.JPG
    SDC19567.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 249

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anything worth more than scrap value and the condition is dependent on price (e.g. coin) I would not tumble, but after seeing your neat brass pieces, I think that I will have to buy a tumbler just to see what I can make perty.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey that's cool! I don't think cleaning jewelry/relics is that bad, unless of course it's historically significant or super rare. I personally don't like seeing cleaned coins that don't need to be cleaned beyond water and a gentle tooth brushing.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. They look great after the tumbling. Love that shiny brass color. As you said, a no no with objects with historical value. (just wanted to put that disclaimer in there, as you did). :laughing7:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Told you that watch case was good ! Doubt it hurt it, whats your tumbling setup again?

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 4.0 9" coil, 11" coil, WS4 w/ Detecting Doodads headphones, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting on the spigot piece. I grew up a couple towns over from Haydenville, Ma and play golf there often!

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well those turned out nice, I see no reason not to tumble them unless as you stated they are rare / historic value.
HH!

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those cleaned up real nice!

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Anything worth more than scrap value and the condition is dependent on price (e.g. coin) I would not tumble, but after seeing your neat brass pieces, I think that I will have to buy a tumbler just to see what I can make perty.

One way to look at it is ... how do you know what you've got unless you clean it thoroughly! :laughing7:
Dave

Hey that's cool! I don't think cleaning jewelry/relics is that bad, unless of course it's historically significant or super rare. I personally don't like seeing cleaned coins that don't need to be cleaned beyond water and a gentle tooth brushing.

I'm totally of the same opinion when it comes to coins, using a soft toothbrush and liquid dish soap is all I use as well Cache! :thumbsup:
Thanks for your post my friend,
Dave

Wow. They look great after the tumbling. Love that shiny brass color. As you said, a no no with objects with historical value. (just wanted to put that disclaimer in there, as you did). :laughing7:
Thanks very much for your post Evolution! :occasion14:
I realize this might be a sensitive topic when it comes to 'how to clean your finds', but I think it's a valid point.
Dave

Told you that watch case was good ! Doubt it hurt it, whats your tumbling setup again?

The watch was definitely a nice surprise CRM! :thumbsup:
I had a feeling when I found it that the inner case was brass and the outer case was silver, but I would never have know for sure if I hadn't tumbled it! :icon_scratch:
I use a Lortone 45C Tumbler, with 1/2" - 3/4" polished aquarium gravel, 3 tablespoons of beach sand, liquid dish soap & hot water ... I only tumble with the sand mixture for 6 - 12 hours to clean off the heavy corrosion.
Dave

Interesting on the spigot piece. I grew up a couple towns over from Haydenville, Ma and play golf there often!
Thanks for your post Jon, it's actually a gas valve for a residential interior light! :hello:
I did a Google Image search for a pic of the Haydenville Factory and the town looks beautiful!
I'll post a pic of the building at the bottom of this post.
Dave

Well those turned out nice, I see no reason not to tumble them unless as you stated they are rare / historic value.
HH!

Thanks for your post kzoo! :thumbsup:
I'm glad to hear that you agree as well.
Best of luck to you,
Dave

Those cleaned up real nice!

Thank you Sir! :icon_salut:

Attachments

• Haydenville Mfg. Co. - 1874.jpg
    Haydenville Mfg. Co. - 1874.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With what your doing, its not an issue. But if your not sure, don't risk it.

So was the watch solid silver? (they are often plated?)

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hey they looked really great, and it is something that one has to be careful with but sometimes the object is so rough or cruddy looking as it is. nice post

MUDSLINGER

Apr 4, 2014
Bourbon IN.
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heck anytime you can improve the appearance of something others may dismiss as junk does not offend me. Of course coins is a tougher call because i usually want a readable date to show people and sometimes that can only be achieved with some form of cleaning. an unreadable 1916d merc is just another crusty dime unless you bravely take the next step. So go for it.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I discovered this quarter after tumbling my clad last year. Apparently it fooled me into thinking it was something it wasn't, lol.
ff2d84674f7a64d00175c302ad217c33.jpg

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With what your doing, its not an issue. But if your not sure, don't risk it.

So was the watch solid silver? (they are often plated?)
Thanks for your post Cru! :occasion14:
After tumbling my finds I noticed a hinge on the side of the ladies silver pocket watch, I then pried the back open and noticed it was stamped .935. The watch had a brass cover against the engraved silver outside cover, this inside brass cover is also engraved with a name. I currently have both of these pieces tumbling again in an attempt to remove the remaining corrosion to better read the inscription.
I'll post pics of these tomorrow when they're cleaned up!
:thumbsup:
Dave

hey they looked really great, and it is something that one has to be careful with but sometimes the object is so rough or cruddy looking as it is. nice post

I hear you dirtlooter, some relics do look best in their 'natural as-found state', I certainly don't want the relics to 'look new' either. :p
But if I'm going to display them I don't feel I'm taking anything away from them by properly cleaning them either. :icon_scratch:
Thanks for your post and for giving me your opinion,
Dave

heck anytime you can improve the appearance of something others may dismiss as junk does not offend me. Of course coins is a tougher call because i usually want a readable date to show people and sometimes that can only be achieved with some form of cleaning. an unreadable 1916d merc is just another crusty dime unless you bravely take the next step. So go for it.

I completely agree with with you MUDSLINGER that, "anytime you can improve the appearance of something others may dismiss as junk" is a good thing!
Cleaning coins is definitely something I'd never do, I'll leave that up to the guy I sell it too! :laughing7:
Best of luck to you bud, :occasion14:
Dave

Last edited:
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I discovered this quarter after tumbling my clad last year. Apparently it fooled me into thinking it was something it wasn't, lol.

Very cool Dave!
This is exactly what I'm talking about finding when you tumble your finds!
Congrats bud!:occasion14:

Here are a couple of pics of the ladies silver pocket watch prior to going back into the tumbler at 7pm this evening.
Dave

Attachments

• SDC19588.JPG
    SDC19588.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 172
  • SDC19592.JPG
    SDC19592.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 185
  • SDC19593.JPG
    SDC19593.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 190
  • SDC19596.JPG
    SDC19596.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 169
  • SDC19594.JPG
    SDC19594.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 186
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Here are pics of the 'now clean' watch with the makers information on this piece. :thumbsup:

It's marked 0.800 (coin silver) and is Made in Germany c1900.
Brass cover inside is marked 'Cylindre / 10 Rubies'.

Thanks for looking,
Dave

Attachments

• SDC19610.JPG
    SDC19610.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 164
  • SDC19604.JPG
    SDC19604.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 171
  • SDC19624-crop.JPG
    SDC19624-crop.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 166

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What can I say?

After seeing your pics, I plunked down and got a good deal on a Lortone tumbler on Feebay today. I have some really nice brass that will look cool tumbled and put on display. Keep us posted on your tumbled surprises!

Thanks.

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What can I say?

After seeing your pics, I plunked down and got a good deal on a Lortone tumbler on Feebay today. I have some really nice brass that will look cool tumbled and put on display. Keep us posted on your tumbled surprises!

Thanks.

Congrats on making the decision to buy a Lortone! :thumbsup:
Make sure you check the belt tension after about 6 months, they tend to loosen up.

I use 1/2" - 3/4" polished aquarium gravel, 3 tablespoons of beach sand, liquid dish soap & hot water ... I only tumble with the sand mixture for 6 - 12 hours to clean off the heavy corrosion.
Best of luck and I look forward to seeing the 'before & after' results!
Dave

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Dave! Of course you know I'm late to this thread, but count me in as thinking you're not doing anything wrong... I'd do it exactly the same way. Those things clean up really nicely, and if doing so increases your enjoyment of the hobby whose to say that's wrong? You find 'em, you deal with 'em how you like. I think seeing the before & after pics is one of the best parts... the 'before' pics would be a neat addition to any display.

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Dave! Of course you know I'm late to this thread, but count me in as thinking you're not doing anything wrong... I'd do it exactly the same way. Those things clean up really nicely, and if doing so increases your enjoyment of the hobby whose to say that's wrong? You find 'em, you deal with 'em how you like. I think seeing the before & after pics is one of the best parts... the 'before' pics would be a neat addition to any display.

Thanks very much for your post and for your support Dagger!
I feel that if finds are cleaned respectfully and properly and as long as your not cleaning historically valuable objects then why not tumble!

I know some people would disagree with my opinion and I would love to hear from those Tnet members who chose not to clean their finds and why. :thumbsup:
Dave

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions