Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I thought the members here might be interested in seeing the knapsack badge I found on December 5 now that it's been 'restored'. I realize some people might feel that relics should be left 'as is', but I feel that to truly appreciate a relic for what it is and was restoration is not a bad thing. :icon_scratch:

In 2014, I was lucky enough to find (4) Mounted Officer’s Horse Breastplates, (1) Horse Boss Plate & (1) Knapsack Badge. The knapsack badge was stamped with much thinner brass then the breastplates, which made it more susceptible to damage from the plow. For years I've heard the name Roland Frodigh in Virginia who literally works miracles with US Civil War relics in need of restoration, so I contacted him and sent him the badge. Here are the before and after pics.

Let me know what you all think. :thumbsup:
Dave

If anyone wants to contact Roland, here is his info:

Hallowed Ground Restorations
Roland Frodigh
3908 King Arthur Rd
Annandale VA 22003

Phone: 703-280-1571
Email:[email protected]
Blog:http://hallowedgroundrestorations.blogspot.ca/

Attachments

• 20141203_115009-1_resized_1.jpg
    20141203_115009-1_resized_1.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 199
  • 20141203_115042-1_resized_1.jpg
    20141203_115042-1_resized_1.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 197
  • 20141203_115052-1_resized_1.jpg
    20141203_115052-1_resized_1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 190
  • 20141203_201459-1_resized.jpg
    20141203_201459-1_resized.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 214
  • 20141203_201526-1_resized.jpg
    20141203_201526-1_resized.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 214
  • 20150120_164827-1_resized.jpg
    20150120_164827-1_resized.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 187
  • 20150120_164850-1_resized.jpg
    20150120_164850-1_resized.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 201
  • 20150120_172952-1_resized.jpg
    20150120_172952-1_resized.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 199
  • P1012177.jpeg
    P1012177.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 223
  • 20150124_130823-1_resized.jpg
    20150124_130823-1_resized.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just saw this thread Dave, looks in far better shape now than it did.
Did you heat it up at all?

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just saw this thread Dave, looks in far better shape now than it did.
Did you heat it up at all?

Jim, Roland told me...

"Your badge looks like it requires basic bend out and touch ups. This is about as much as I can do for the relic. As you know, these thick brass items are tough to straighten out. The crown was about 90% broken from the rest of it and in order to straighten it, and the main portion out, had to be removed then reattached. When displaying this badge it is important that the face is not pressed down as so many relics are when placed in shallow riker-type cases. The crown has been afixed with adhesive and therefore could easily separate with torque or pressure from display glass or mishandling. In the event this happens (which I hope does not) I would certainly re-do the work at no cost to you. I prefer to do the minimal in terms of altering the appearance of the relic even if it is the the back side. Avoid handling this very much and if folks wish to see the repair perhaps use the pictures instead. Lift it supporting both sections. Should the crown break off, I would go the heavy repair route and place a bridging element into the relic to span the two pieces. Let's hope that will not be necessary. BTW, soldering is not a viable alternative as the oxidized brass would discolor under the intense heat of a torch and the thin area of the break has little pristine brass to sweat and flow solder onto. Bottom line, be careful considering the type of repair performed."

Although this restoration looks straightforward, it wasn't one I was about to attempt myself. I think we've all attempted to restore a find we thought was going to be easy and ended up ruining the piece! This is the only knapsack badge I've ever found at this site and felt it was worthy of a respectable restoration. :thumbsup:

We should get together for a hunt this year Jim. I swung by the Millhaven site yesterday on my way home from Ottawa, it sure looks different in the winter... almost lonely. :icon_scratch:

Take care my friend,
Dave

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is fantastic. Remarkable recovery - Roland is truly an artist.

Thanks for your post Diver! :thumbsup:
Guys like Roland are hard to find and are a great resource to have.

Best of luck to you,
Dave

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow,that looks essentially perfect now.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Jim, Roland told me...

"Your badge looks like it requires basic bend out and touch ups. This is about as much as I can do for the relic. As you know, these thick brass items are tough to straighten out. The crown was about 90% broken from the rest of it and in order to straighten it, and the main portion out, had to be removed then reattached. When displaying this badge it is important that the face is not pressed down as so many relics are when placed in shallow riker-type cases. The crown has been afixed with adhesive and therefore could easily separate with torque or pressure from display glass or mishandling. In the event this happens (which I hope does not) I would certainly re-do the work at no cost to you. I prefer to do the minimal in terms of altering the appearance of the relic even if it is the the back side. Avoid handling this very much and if folks wish to see the repair perhaps use the pictures instead. Lift it supporting both sections. Should the crown break off, I would go the heavy repair route and place a bridging element into the relic to span the two pieces. Let's hope that will not be necessary. BTW, soldering is not a viable alternative as the oxidized brass would discolor under the intense heat of a torch and the thin area of the break has little pristine brass to sweat and flow solder onto. Bottom line, be careful considering the type of repair performed."

Although this restoration looks straightforward, it wasn't one I was about to attempt myself. I think we've all attempted to restore a find we thought was going to be easy and ended up ruining the piece! This is the only knapsack badge I've ever found at this site and felt it was worthy of a respectable restoration. :thumbsup:

We should get together for a hunt this year Jim. I swung by the Millhaven site yesterday on my way home from Ottawa, it sure looks different in the winter... almost lonely. :icon_scratch:

Take care my friend,
Dave

I'm sure it does Dave and detecting is a long ways off yet it seems. For sure on getting together for a hunt as soon as the ground thaws, sap has stopped, and I'll be ready for some hunting.

Thanks for the reply on the restoration of the badge.

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow,that looks essentially perfect now.

Thanks very much! :thumbsup:
I just wanted it to be preserved and be able to display it better.
Dave

I'm sure it does Dave and detecting is a long ways off yet it seems. For sure on getting together for a hunt as soon as the ground thaws, sap has stopped, and I'll be ready for some hunting.

Thanks for the reply on the restoration of the badge.

You're welcome Jim.
Lots of sites with potential on Hwy 33, I'm considering doing some door knocking down there in the spring. :icon_scratch:
Dave

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One just has to throw the right dart at the map in any part of the area, have to do some door knocking soon again myself

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find and beautiful restoration!

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

One just has to throw the right dart at the map in any part of the area, have to do some door knocking soon again myself

You likely know this area better then I do Jim, although I did have some success detecting the shoreline near Glen Miller and found a couple of LC's a few years ago. :icon_scratch:

I look forward to meeting up with you sometime this year,
Dave

Great find and beautiful restoration!

Thank you very much for your post Prof.! :thumbsup:
It's definitely a good feeling when you can have a find restored and preserved for future generations.

Best of luck to you,
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions