sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About 30 years ago I picked this up at a local swap meet. From the small amount of research I've done I believe it's a 100 pound WWII practice bomb. It's been in my garage the entire time that I've owned it so it hasn't been exposed to the elements, but it does have a layer of rust that was on it when I bought it.

I'm thinking about trying to restore it so I can hang it from my garage ceiling. However, I don't even know where to start. I'm not knowledgable at all when it comes to restoration projects so I'd have to hire someone to do it. The rust seems relatively superficial but it would obviously have to be removed before it could be smoothed and painted.

Can anyone give me suggestions on where to start or if it would even be worth the money to try to restore?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421985483.365956.jpg

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Just hang it up as is and tell your friends a story about finding it and how someday you're thinking of having it defused.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have it sand blasted and do a rattle can paint job on it!

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
The rings added to the sides makes me think it may have hung outside an Army/Navy store at some point as an advertisement. I would do a little you tube searching on prepping rusty metal for paint and then as Rob says, do a rattle can paint job but only after researching what the correct colors and markings should be. A heavy coat of Rustoleum primer prior to painting would help as well.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Either sand or soda blasting would be the best thing. You could probably take it somewhere and pay them to do it. I had a much larger project blasted for me and it costs me $250 so I think it shouldn't cost you so much. I would then either use a quality primer and spray paint or better yet a good quality automotive paint in a spray gun. Then I would clear coat it.

You will also need to think about how you would hang it, so probably the best way is to drill holes and weld a few eyebolts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sjvalleyhunter

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all for the suggestions. I like the idea of having it sandblasted to knock off the rust before painting it. That should get it to looking like how I envision it once it's all done.

Spydieman13

Jan 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you decide to restore it, have a good, professional restoration. I would do some research on practice WWII bombs. Or maybe get it appraised

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread