• 1426034128350.jpg
    1426034128350.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 280

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spray mine with WD-40 and when dry, coat with lacquer. I don't think that is a meat hook, it would have a sharper point if it was one.

OP
OP
metaldetecta

metaldetecta

Jun 10, 2013
Michigan Troll
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro and Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the evidence!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Check out the product Gemplers Rust Converter on Utube. I plan on using this soon myself. It is supposed to be a great product giving relics a nice coating and stopping the rusting process. Good luck to you. I'm cleaning some of my smaller relics now and I plan on using the Gemplers in my next step of restoration.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oil is always good for metal

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all depends on the end result you desire.
Personally after I blacken a piece with electrolysis, I just hang it up and keep it dry.
If you want you can buy various finishes of spray on clear coat from matte-high gloss.
Rust converters and things like naval jelly are acids that will eat away the rust and treat the surface of the metal.
Muratic Acid (hydrochloric acid) will eat away the rust and leave a chemically cleaned surface.
And as previously mentioned oil is always a good method for preventing future oxidation.

montcalm

Jan 31, 2015
Lévis, Quebec
Detector(s) used
Tesoro shark,Tesoro Cortes, ExcaliburII,Garett Atpro
Primary Interest:
Other
I use w40 on small object ( but smell)and on the big one i use boil linseed oil after a while it dry and come black. I use it on anchor and chain.(could be done couple of time if needed On small piece i use bee wax too.

divedigger

Mar 27, 2003
SouthEast NC
Detector(s) used
DMC-II,Cibola,Excaliber,Whites PI, AT Max
I clean with scotchbrite, alcohol and coat with clear satin polyurethane minwax

Calgarychef

Jan 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The museum experts will tell you that nothing you put on an object will stop rust. For items of recent manufacture or items that aren't worth much then we-40, varnish, wax will all suffice. If it's a seriously old piece keeping it dry (humidity absorbers) and excluding oxygen (vacum chamber or various gasses that exclude oxygen).

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use Rustoleum Rust Reformer on my pieces after electrolysis. I like the flat black coating on my relics. 19400022_10209377263132153_8282908845028142552_n.jpg 18582090_10209156068842434_8661349229839931515_n.jpg 18698211_10209212410170932_5895279953998009088_n.jpg 18740261_10209193730223945_6286802414762612099_n.jpg

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Donnie,

are your oldest restored iron pieces still stable and for how long?

@Metaldetecta:
The best way is to cook iron in acid free (hard) wax after you dried it in an oven for some hours. When no bubbles comes out while cooking them, you can take it out. Don´t remove too much of the wax when you take it out. There has to be a closed thin wax layer on the surface when it has cooled down. This layer can be polished with a brush if you like it more or less shining. The wax protect the iron from oxygen and also humidity.
Paraloid is easy removable with aceton but it becomes micro cracks, anyway which one you use and it don´t work at all.
Paraffin or Renaissance restoration wax diffuses after a while!

You can find examples of hot waxed iron objects and how it looks in my album!

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After electrolysis, make sure there are no salts in it by letting it sit in water about a month, changing the water our repeatedly and testing the old water with an aquarium hydrometer.

After that let it set out and dry several weeks. Then I coat with satin polyurethane. I have relics I have done that with 30 years ago and they are fine to this day.

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
After electrolysis, make sure there are no salts in it by letting it sit in water about a month, changing the water our repeatedly and testing the old water with an aquarium hydrometer.

After that let it set out and dry several weeks. Then I coat with satin polyurethane. I have relics I have done that with 30 years ago and they are fine to this day.

If you do the electrolysis properly, there is no remaining salt in the iron and you just have to wash out the additions you used for the electrolysis.
You can try some baths of distilled water and use as examlpe an pump to move the water, which makes the process faster.
To put it for a month in water will harm the object again. I guess you get also chlorine etc. as additions to your water. Also if the electrolysis wouldn´t be able to remove the salt, a bath in normal water will not fix the problem within 100 years.
To put a piece in distilled water for such a long time will kill the rest of the remaining oxide and you will get an iron "skeleton".
If you let it dry for WEEKS just on the air, the oxygen and humidity will do his work properly! :laughing7: + you get very ugly rusty looking surface.
Iron gets dried in an oven for a few hours at 100 to 150 degrees Celsius and preserved after it as soon as possible and after you have removed the thin red layer with a brush (if it come sup), better is air abrasion with round glass beads only and no sharp edged abrasion materials which harm the surface.
Do you think polyurethane is the best solution to preserve an object? And what is about the artificial looking much too shiny surface?
You will not find one professional restorer in the world who use it for preservation.
There are also some who don´t like wax but only because it is not "easy" to remove with acetone. Wax can simply cooked out in distilled water (on iron only!). But this is not necessary if you did a good job. A thin hard-wax layer protects iron real from humidity and oxygen. Any chemical preservation's can and do very often cause reactions.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job and thanks for the post I learned some good ways to preserve my relics

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread