Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the photos after electrolysis.

It turned out that the pistol is Mod. 1911, not Mod. 1911A1. Mod. 1911 was produced from 1911 till 1924. The main visible difference is the hump on the back of the grip. On the Mod. 1911 there was no hump because they had a straight main spring. When the new design was issued, Mod. 1911A1 in 1924, they redesigned the main spring and made it with a curve. The hand grip had to be altered to accommodate the curve and from then on there was a hump on the back side of the hand grip below the grip safety.

This thing could have been lost in the 1920's because of the deterioration of the metal. There were lots of places that the metal had been entirely eaten away. I lost the front sight. Lost the safety lever. Holes in the slide rail. Part of the hammer spur. And just general deterioration.

There is not a round in the chamber. I can't see clearly but there may be a round in the upper part of the magazine. I don't have the heart to try and remove the magazine to find out.

What a shame that such a classic firearm is ruined. Makes me want to seek one out to put with it. I have included a photo from a firearms auction of what it used to look like.

It's my understanding that there were only about 10,000 of them produced. This one may well be a WWI veteran.

Attachments

• P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 290
  • P1010007.jpg
    P1010007.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 310
  • P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 316
  • P1010008.jpg
    P1010008.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 321
  • Mod-1911-first.jpg
    Mod-1911-first.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tremendous find! Congrats......Hogge

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like it is cleaning up well. Congratulations Again! :occasion14:

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that poor thing has sure seen better days. It looks good cleaned up though and it's a great relic for display.

If you do want to get a nice original military surplus 1911, the Civilian Marksmanship Program is going to be selling the last of them still in government storage starting sometime this year : Sales & Services - Civilian Marksmanship ProgramCivilian Marksmanship Program

Last edited:
OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I gotta say I think a little wd-40 and it might work!

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a pretty cool find. You should totally send it in for repairs to the CMP lol

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Thanks for the update. Are you planning to go back to the site and look again?

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the condition she was is she cleaned up well!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh that is bloody cool man! Were you worried about electrolysis and live rounds? Jk.

That'll look phenomenal in a display!

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one that I've owned for quite a while and it looks as nice as the firearms auction photo, and still shoots well. I have always liked the way they handle since being in the Army from 1966 to 1970. The one you found is still an amazing find. Congrats.

OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you planning to go back to the site and look again?

Been to the wooded area quite a few times. It is very near the site of a skirmish between Cavalry from Stoneman's raid and a group of South Carolina Cavalry that resulted in the SC guys being captured. Hunted the woods extensively. It's around 15 acres of woods so there is still plenty of ground a coil hasn't passed over yet and I and my hunting partner Buck will go at it again soon.

OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were you worried about electrolysis and live rounds? Jk.

No, not at all. To set off a round of standard ammunition it takes a strike on the primer. There was no round in the chamber and if there is one or two rounds in the magazine there was nothing to hit the primer in there. And as long as this thing has been in the ground I had no doubt that moisture had made it's way into any cartridge that might be in there.

OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one that I've owned for quite a while and it looks as nice as the firearms auction photo, and still shoots well. I have always liked the way they handle since being in the Army from 1966 to 1970. The one you found is still an amazing find. Congrats.

Thanks for the good comments. Like you I was armed with one 1962-66 in the Marine Corps. Qualified each of four years with a 1911A1. Carried one most every duty day for two years. They are a solid dependable firearm.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carried one in Nam also in 69-70. Shot on the US Army 8th Division LeClerc pistol team way back in '64-'65. represented the 505th Abn. Inf. Beautiful weapon to shoot.
Any chance of getting the Serial number off it?
Marvin

ctalmadg

Jul 27, 2003
Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes Area)
Detector(s) used
White / Fisher / DJI Cellar Hole Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carried one in Nam also in 69-70. Shot on the US Army 8th Division LeClerc pistol team way back in '64-'65. represented the 505th Abn. Inf. Beautiful weapon to shoot.
Any chance of getting the Serial number off it?
Marvin

Yeah.. would be a great find if you could get the serial and trace the gun origin... I think the serials on those were on the right side above the trigger to the left a bit.

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. I got to laughing thinking about how funny it would be to send a photo of it to Colt and let them know you have been considering getting it re-blued and could they possibly give you a quote.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread