How to clean green coloration

EmmaJohn

Oct 14, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there,
I have been searching for a long time how to clean the metals. Few days before I noticed that my grandpa's trophies are kept in the storeroom. I thought to clean it and keep it on the shelf. I was cleaning it with lubricants but the green coloration on the trophies are not removed with lubricants. When I searched cleaning procedures I saw that inappropriate cleaning can cause color damage to the metals 5 Reasons Your Trophy Colour is Fading | Hoult-Hellewell so I am little worried about the cleaning. I thought the coins and trophies are made of same metals, so the same cleaning procedures used for the coins can be used on the trophies too. So, I would like to know the cleaning procedures for the coins especially for removing the green coloration on the metal.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The green is typically from oxidized copper. When it comes to coins, most people say don't clean them, especially not with abrasives. As for the trophies they are likely a cheap brass alloy like tombac. For those there are many metal polishes available, but if you happen to have some glass stove top cleaner, that usually works pretty good too.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also use Simi Chrome Polish. I water it down with a little spit. Water works too if you don't have spit.
tongue3.gif
Don't use anything rougher than clean flannel & very light pressure. Another step is spray it with some photo fixative spray, it doesn't look like it's been coated.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could also have them redipped I would assume with a new finish

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DEOX-IT D5.... best stuff iv ever used...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread