OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
I have no idea what Tom uses, but I have seen this posted a few times on the website and I got some for myself.

View attachment 2082671

However, I have found that it eats up latex gloves, so you might invest in rubber gloves. I have not tried those yet.
I use this and Paraloid B72. Depends on the Patina and Object.
On Iron I use other waxes and cook the Objects in it. Paraloid for Iron is a very bad choise!
If you thin it down to get a natural shining like most museum Restorers do, Paraloid gets micro cracks while drying and where humidity penetrates and causes problems. If you use Aceton for the paraloid it gets even worse because it dries even faster and makes directy cracks in it. After a few years you can literaly fell it and a smooth looking surface feeling rough under your fingers. That are bent up edges of the cracked Paraloid!
The Problem with Renaissance wax is, that it is made from Paraffine and it diffuses in the air, so after a few years it is gone from the objects. Same Problem with paraffine oil.
An Advantage is, if you put in on objects and polish the surface after drying, the unnatural shining disappears after a short time.

Below is a pic that shows what is possible with parafine oil on more than 2000 years old beads.
Problem is, that this treatment has to be done again and again after years.

Amber.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Latest acquisitions :hello2:

An outstanding Ptolemy I. Soter from the "Delta Master" and a Lysimachus Coin which will became a REAL beauty when cleaned.
The Ptolemy is nearly finished and photos will follow!
The dark areas are gone now but some silver bubbles under it which came from an early electrolysis cleaning still remainng on the surface and they are hard to remove without damaging the coin.
The Auxustus coin from Post 241 had the same problem!

It is a real wonder they didn´t destroyed that beautyful coin with this damn electrolysis... :BangHead:

Photos of both coins are before restoration!

Later more!!
coin obverse.jpeg coin reverse.jpeg bgr_837393.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
I have no idea what Tom uses, but I have seen this posted a few times on the website and I got some for myself.

View attachment 2082671

However, I have found that it eats up latex gloves, so you might invest in rubber gloves. I have not tried those yet.

Sis, use a brush to apply the wax and just tip the brush gently into the wax! I you use too much it will turn white on the objects after drying!
A very thin layer is enough and don´t worry about a glossy shing after polish it. This will dissaper after a few weeks and you have a natural looking surface!

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
First Pics while cleaning. (4 hours now)
As I thought, it has a nice ultra hard Cuprit Patina and it will be absolutely flat and smooth when finished.
The Coins is just 18mm in Diameter.

Better Pics will follow when it is finished - tomorrow! 8-)

IMG_8127.JPG IMG_8125.JPG

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not complete finished yet, but a quick made photo how the Nero looks at the moment.

Still some finer work do do on the details, also on the backside wich comes out great with very good details!

View attachment 2116294
Really appreciate your talents Tom.
Will be waiting for the final showing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread