devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Finally cleaning my metal artifacts. Is it necessary to get every speck of rust of the artifacts before doing the hot wax dip. Iā€™m new to this but Iā€™m sure someone will have the correct answer. Thanks in advance.
If I may suggest go to Utube and watch some of Aquachiggers videos on Electrolysis and the waxing of iron relics. He has some pretty good videos concerning this and they have a lot of information as to the do's and the don't's. Best of luck to you and be careful.

OP
OP
K

kromar3336

Mar 15, 2015
Pgh Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw some of his videos. Now that you mention it I think he waxed some of his stuff that still showed some rust. Thanks

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are some other videos out on a product called Gemplers. You may have heard of this. This product treats iron from the inside out preventing and stopping rust from re occurring. This is a great product if you don't mind it turning the iron black. When applied and after drying, it gives the iron a nice looking sheen. Check it out if you haven't already. This is just another option to treating the iron. I treated my 12 pound Confetrit' shell and all my iron shell frag's and other iron relics with the Gemplers and I was pleased at the finished product. Good luck to you. I meant to add that I am no way affiliated with the Gemplers company. I just simply tried it and I was satisfied with their product and I could recommend it to anyone looking at preserving their iron relics.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kromar3336

Mar 15, 2015
Pgh Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I did see that on YouTube looks interesting. I waxed my double axe head. It was pretty big so I had to flip it over to get it all covered. Might get hold of Gemplers for future finds

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info thanks this helps me as well

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread