Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A few weeks ago, a friend of mine offered to send me a small silver ring that he had found while water detecting in Kamloops, British Columbia. :thumbsup:

Once I received the ring in the mail, I determined based on its small size, that it was likely lost by a young person while swimming. Upon closer inspection under a jeweler’s loop, I could see that ring had a heavy crust of minerals on it due to being buried in the freshwater mud for many years. I felt the safest and least invasive way I felt to clean this piece was to tumble it, I tumbled this ring for 96 hours in total. The first 3 days it tumbled in dish soap, hot water, aquarium gravel and beach sand, which I changed every 24hrs. For the final 24hrs, it was tumbled minus the beach sand. This final process polished the surface, as it was left flat and dull after being scoured by the sand. It was only after being tumbled that I discovered the face of the ring is actually 10k gold! I have given this ring to my 17-year-old daughter who absolutely loves the age and the look of it! :hello2:
I would personally like to thank Paul for his generosity in 'gifting' this beautiful ring to me and my daughter. :occasion14:

Thanks very much for looking,
Dave

Attachments

• 006-crop.JPG
    006-crop.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_9345.JPG
    IMG_9345.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 20200904_145242.jpg
    20200904_145242.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 20200904_145148.jpg
    20200904_145148.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 20200904_145206.jpg
    20200904_145206.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 20200904_145131.jpg
    20200904_145131.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 107

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
That looks very good! I’m glad your daughter likes it. And thanks for sharing the steps involved. I have a tumbler but have no idea how to go about cleaning anything with it.

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks very much for your post xr7ator, I appreciate it. :thumbsup:
Dave

That looks very good! I’m glad your daughter likes it. And thanks for sharing the steps involved. I have a tumbler but have no idea how to go about cleaning anything with it.

Thank you for posting here WD, you'll discover that restoring a relic that was lost by someone long ago is very satisfying. :hello2:
I try to re-use or re-purpose anything that I find detecting.
I even donate the antique glass and porcelain fragments that I find in the fields to a local community center in my town, where they're used in art classes to make artwork.

If you look down through the Restoration Projects Forum you'll see in numerous posts where I explain the tumblers and methods I use to restore items.

Best of luck to you,
Dave

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks very much for your post xr7ator, I appreciate it. :thumbsup:
Dave

Thank you for posting here WD, you'll discover that restoring a relic that was lost by someone long ago is very satisfying. :hello2:
I try to re-use or re-purpose anything that I find detecting.
I even donate the antique glass and porcelain fragments that I find in the fields to a local community center in my town, where they're used in art classes to make artwork.

If you look down through the Restoration Projects Forum you'll see in numerous posts where I explain the tumblers and methods I use to restore items.

Best of luck to you,
Dave

Dave, you have answered another of my questions that has been on my mind lately. What to do with all this broken glass, pottery. And porcelain. I even started gluing pieces of what is now identifiable as a bowl back together. Curiosity gets the best of me sometimes. :tongue3:

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dave, you have answered another of my questions that has been on my mind lately. What to do with all this broken glass, pottery. And porcelain. I even started gluing pieces of what is now identifiable as a bowl back together. Curiosity gets the best of me sometimes. :tongue3:

That's a great idea WD. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread