Post A Picture(s) Of Your Best American Revolutionary War Era Find

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rev War 3rd Regt. Continental Light Dragoons button. It is a unique field-cast button and the only known numbered regimental button of the Continental Light Dragoons.
Size: 17mm
Material: pewter
Year recovered: 2009
Condition: as found excellent shape with no edge loss!

Attachments

• 3RCLDfront.jpg
    3RCLDfront.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 770
  • 3RCLDback.jpg
    3RCLDback.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 754

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SC Keith said:
Rev War 3rd Regt. Continental Light Dragoons button. It is a unique field-cast button and the only known numbered regimental button of the Continental Light Dragoons.
Size: 17mm
Material: pewter
Year recovered: 2009

Nice find Keith!

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first time visiting this particular forum and there are some really nice relics posted. I do not have anything worth but i am going to submit one that my brother found several years ago. It is a "Maryland Extra Battalion" button. Don Troiani was the man who finally IDed it for us. There are only two known examples.

Attachments

• MEB button front.JPG
    MEB button front.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 987
  • MEB button back.JPG
    MEB button back.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 898

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok i have seen gen wash grave here one of the soldiers graves

Attachments

• Photo728.jpg
    Photo728.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,765
  • Photo728.jpg
    Photo728.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,724

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basically MINT!!!

Attachments

• DSC00889.JPG
    DSC00889.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 246
  • DSC00884.JPG
    DSC00884.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC00886.JPG
    DSC00886.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 357

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds you guys.. I have some very nice buttons but my personal favorite when it comes to battles is probably the ammunition. the personal impact that those pieces would have on a soldier just put them in a different light. I just found this 3 days ago. looks like it was made yesterday. gotta love mud.

PART_1339467559332.jpeg

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
DirtyMike said:
Might be this if it ws idetified correctly.

Just saw this post and found this item much like yours. It was found in a area where I found some mid 1700's large cents.

image-932138074.jpg

image-486598144.jpg

Thanks

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
fieldslayer said:
Fellow RW Enthusiacs - If I may, I would like to resolve a long time "pet peave" of mine I have been bothered by for some time , and would welcome any discussion, proof on this topic to settle it once and for all. I have been successfully hunting and researching rev war artifacts + attending relic shows since the late 1970's. I don't know how this assumtion arose, but so many classic looking plates such as shown in the previous post (correct size, clipped corners, etc.) have always been dismissed as "trunk plates" due to the presence of the studs on the back, even by some of the biggest authorities in the field. Aside from being an avid relic hunter, I have been in the antique business even longer. I have made it a sort of mission to find the evidence of this. To date, after seeing hundreds of examples of period trunks of all types, + consulting trunk experts and museums, I have yet to see one even similar example of such a brass attachment anywhere in my research. Also, is the GR example with studs in the Neumann and Kravic Encyclopedia book labled a cartridge box plate a mistake? By the numbers of these plates uncovered, it would be assumed that these were quite common on trunks. Where is the surviving trunk evidence??? This belief has been cliche for so many decades , that it apparently has never been questioned. I would welcome any commentary or proof otherwise, before anymore possible valid plates are dismissed.

Sure would be interested to see it on use on something.

John A. Morrow

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia/South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure would be interested to see it on use on something.

I have always thought of these stud-backed plates as militia buckles worn on fabric belts.The reverse studs would sorta "grip" the fabric.
The only "trunk plate" I ever recall seeing was a thin brass plate with the 23rd.Royal Welsh Fusiliers cypher(Crown & 3 feathers),about 3'' wide & oval shape.Unfortunately I traded it many years ago.It did'nt have studs on the reverse but did have a slot on the bottom that may have been for a key.
I have always hoped this item would show up again in a book.I originally purchased it for a couple of dollars in a relic "junk box" at a show in Winchester,Va. around 1975.And-the 23rd.Regt. was in Va. during Cornwallis' move toward Yorktown.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
John A. Morrow said:
I have always thought of these stud-backed plates as militia buckles worn on fabric belts.The reverse studs would sorta "grip" the fabric.
The only "trunk plate" I ever recall seeing was a thin brass plate with the 23rd.Royal Welsh Fusiliers cypher(Crown & 3 feathers),about 3'' wide & oval shape.Unfortunately I traded it many years ago.It did'nt have studs on the reverse but did have a slot on the bottom that may have been for a key.
I have always hoped this item would show up again in a book.I originally purchased it for a couple of dollars in a relic "junk box" at a show in Winchester,Va. around 1975.And-the 23rd.Regt. was in Va. during Cornwallis' move toward Yorktown.

The plate I showed above still had some leather on the studs. I came off when I cleaned it. So the fabric idea does not jive. It hard to believe that no one has produced any evidence as to what they are.

Last edited:

DigitNY

Jan 1, 2013
Cortlandt NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is an old thread, but.. I found the same exact plate. Age., patina and little triangular hooks. Will post if ur interested, ever find out what it is ??

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ForumRunner_20140110_144819.png

ForumRunner_20140110_144847.png

Have it in electrolysis now... sorry this has nothing to do with your question.. Just saw the thread

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Virginia half penny obverse 001.JPG Virginia half penny obverse 002.JPG Virginia half penny obverse 003.JPG Found this dagger and 1773 Virginia half Penny.Do not know a whole lot about the dagger except it is a old somthin,and considering where i found it, I say it at least dates back to the 18th century!Who ever made it was a real artisan for their time.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread