LEGEND OF BRADDOCKS GOLD ----- CENTREVILLE VIRGINIA

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Good post & one I have never read before. I've always had an interest because I had ancestors that lived & some still do
in the western Maryland & south-western Pa. mountain areas going back to the mid-1700's. I also live less than 10 miles
from the site of the battle & work on the exact site where this army crossed the river prior to the defeat. Having a place in
the mountains of Somerset County, I spend a good bit of time there & just imagine how rugged it would have been to
travel that route in 1755. Even though, Braddock's last camp before the battle is only a mile from where I now sit, I've
wondered if they would have carried that gold & those two cannons this far. My 'GUESS' would be that he would have
buried that loot before the path took them into the really rugged country, maybe somewhere near Grantsville, Md. But
there sure are a lot of possibilities. Good read, thanks.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gldhntr said:

Thanks for posting this. In my opinion, the author does a fine job debunking the myth. I've heard a well known local historian refer to Braddock's Gold as one of the "great mysteries" in Northern Virginia. Apparently, he has not read this article.

I guess I can stop looking now. :D

DCMatt

scoremaster

Jan 2, 2013
western md
Detector(s) used
garrett 250 and new this year at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've kinda been following braddocks trail mostly the Grantsville area as that's where I live and may have some permission to hunt a few of these areas still trying to get a honest lockdown on the site of the camps and so on . .
hoping to get my hunt on this spring and summer .
tube city where are you located I'm just south of Grantsville .

send me a pm maybe we can get together and hunt if your close enough and would want to . I worked on a house with my brother across the road from braddocks grave and thought about asking them for permission to hunt there they owned a pretty good chunk of ground .

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions