Feb 10, 2009
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rev. & Civil War Site !

All this from one yard. The house on this site was built in the mid 1700's and was built by one of the Washington's. During the civil war a few regiments camped there. I know Civil War but these Revolutionary items I know little about. All help would be appreciated. I believe there is a cross belt plate, and the double d buckle I would like to date. I dug alot more stuff at this spot and as soon as I get my SD card reader fixed I will post some more.

Attachments

• day 1.jpg
    day 1.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,260
  • day 2.jpg
    day 2.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,233
  • revo.jpg
    revo.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 1,369
  • day 1.jpg
    day 1.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,235
  • revo.jpg
    revo.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 1,199
  • day 3.jpg
    day 3.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,182
  • day 2.jpg
    day 2.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,211
Upvote 0

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Rev. & Civil War Site !

I know the item in your second picture above left of the stirrup looking thing is a Jews Harp which was a musical instrument caried by lots of soldiers in the Rev. & possibly the Civil War as well.

Brian

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pretty sure your last picture is a shoulder belt plate (Rev. War) Nice find!

floodcitykid

Nov 3, 2008
Appomattox coVirginia
Detector(s) used
whites eagle spectrum
fisher gold bug

Shoe buckle, square plate could be shoulder plate or martingale front piece, (horseman).

Nice, :icon_thumleft:
Just as a not, Civil war soldiers often camped at Rev war/1812 sites.

Floodcity kid

cobra_jet

Jan 5, 2009
Picket line, Fort Mahone
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro and Gold Bug Pro-DP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Congratulations, the plate is a early war militia style plate as used by the early war Virginia Confederate troops. Please post a pic of the back when you get a chance.

Best,

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think the relics you posted are mainly colonial era homestead relics, aside from the Civil War ones... The early items are the jew's harp, the shoe buckles, and perhaps also the clipped-corner plate. I would like to see a photo of that plate with something for scale if you can--and a shot of the back of it would help too.

The problem with saying that those items mentioned above are Rev War items is that there was no Rev War lead found. :dontknow:

But those finds are consistent with 1700s era homesites.

That belt buckle or shoulder belt plate could be a Very good find.

Heck, anyone would be tickled to death with half of what you found there.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

OP
OP
DirtyMike

DirtyMike

Feb 10, 2009
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cobra_jet said:
Congratulations, the plate is a early war militia style plate as used by the early war Virginia Confederate troops. Please post a pic of the back when you get a chance.

Best,
The size is 2 7/8 x 2 3/8. Its not a confederate plate though.

Attachments

• revoo.jpg
    revoo.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,121
  • revoo.jpg
    revoo.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,022

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DirtyMike said:
cobra_jet said:

Best,

It is a plate from an old trunk. :-\

OP
OP
DirtyMike

DirtyMike

Feb 10, 2009
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
DirtyMike said:
cobra_jet said:

Best,

You know, I have heard plate from an old trunk befor. I really don't know. I have had several more people say cross belt plate and send me links. Armyoftennesseerelics.com had one for sale you can still see. Hopefully I will get it figured out.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DirtyMike said:
BuckleBoy said:
DirtyMike said:
cobra_jet said:

Best,

You know, I have heard plate from an old trunk befor. I really don't know. I have had several more people say cross belt plate and send me links. Armyoftennesseerelics.com had one for sale you can still see. Hopefully I will get it figured out.

I think we need to find a photo of the trunk one came off of. I have Never seen a photo of a legitimate shoulder belt plate with six attachment hooks on it. I am probably 90% convinced that this find is inaccurately ID'ed on the relic websites--which copy each other's ID's of items. I mean, there were web sites--reputable ones--selling Sash Weights as "Civil War Underwear Buttons" for God's sake. Don't believe anything you read. "Flower buttons" aren't worth $25 bucks apiece as "CW relics." They are civilian items that saw some CW use. I feel certain that most of the flower buttons for sale at such outrageous prices never saw the inside of a CW camp.

And as I said earlier in my replies, this does not strike me as a Rev. War site. Just a colonial house site with some CW activity on its grounds.

Regards,

Buckles

OP
OP
DirtyMike

DirtyMike

Feb 10, 2009
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't take me wrong I do agree with you. Just a little wishfull thinking thats all. With that being said I have received 2 emails from people who have dug these. They both had said cross belt plate and if it is a wrong id on that site and these guys seen it aswell then thats that but, one of the guys claimed to have had a Rev. war pro take a look at it and identified it as the same. Who knows. All I know is its confederate, one of a kind, worn by Alabama militia, and is worth at least a grand. :laughing7:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DirtyMike said:
Don't take me wrong I do agree with you. Just a little wishfull thinking thats all. With that being said I have received 2 emails from people who have dug these. They both had said cross belt plate and if it is a wrong id on that site and these guys seen it aswell then thats that but, one of the guys claimed to have had a Rev. war pro take a look at it and identified it as the same. Who knows. All I know is its confederate, one of a kind, worn by Alabama militia, and is worth at least a grand. :laughing7:

I'm not completely convinced that it isn't... so it is open for debate. I just haven't seen any evidence for or against. And I have no clue as to where these experts out there have gotten their information from.

But I do see a lot of incorrect info out there, and the world wide web is Not helping because it is spreading it everywhere. :-\

cobra_jet

Jan 5, 2009
Picket line, Fort Mahone
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro and Gold Bug Pro-DP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That plate is now a stumper......I'm not sure why a breast plate would have 6 attachment points......Have you examined it closely for any engraving ?

Anyone have a copy of Lon Keim's buckle book handy ? There may be a reference there for something similar.

Best,

OP
OP
DirtyMike

DirtyMike

Feb 10, 2009
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have examined it quite close although I do not want to scrub it any. And still no markings that I can see. The way the post appear (whats left of them cause they are broke off) is that they were bent over with just enough room for a piece of leather strap or belt to fit through. Its quite firm and the corners are not crude cuts like those often seen on confederate "clipped corner" plates.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is most definitely not a cross belt plate. I talked to a well known American military expert and he had no doubt it was a trunk plate. Both my digging bud and I each found one at the same site ... and trust me, we ain't that lucky. Purely by coincidence we dug 3 Rev War officer buttons but there's not even hope in that because there's no way they were wearing plain plates.

There are similar type military plates but these are a no go.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
It is most definitely not a cross belt plate. I talked to a well known American military expert and he had no doubt it was a trunk plate. Both my digging bud and I each found one at the same site ... and trust me, we ain't that lucky. Purely by coincidence we dug 3 Rev War officer buttons but there's not even hope in that because there's no way they were wearing plain plates.

There are similar type military plates but these are a no go.

It's a "romeo plate"...I got one too!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PS... for anyone who believes it is a Rev plate mine has a super patina and I would sell it for $500. But if it's a Condederate plate I would need $750. You can choose. :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Picture.

Attachments

• 1pl.jpg
    1pl.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 906
  • 2pl.jpg
    2pl.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 893
OP
OP
DirtyMike

DirtyMike

Feb 10, 2009
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
PS... for anyone who believes it is a Rev plate mine has a super patina and I would sell it for $500. But if it's a Confederate plate I would need $750. You can choose. :thumbsup:
What if its both and the revolutionary war soldier gave it to the confederate soldier. Now its worth $1,250! That's a deal ! :laughing7: On a serious note does anyone have a picture of these actually still attached to a trunk?

vonrall

Apr 17, 2009

Buckle Boy is correct it is a trunk plate , no question about it. The oval buckle with center bar is American for the shoulder belt of the "new invented cartridgebox" of 1779.

DirtyMike said:
Iron Patch said:
PS... for anyone who believes it is a Rev plate mine has a super patina and I would sell it for $500. But if it's a Confederate plate I would need $750. You can choose. :thumbsup:
What if its both and the revolutionary war soldier gave it to the confederate soldier. Now its worth $1,250! That's a deal ! :laughing7: On a serious note does anyone have a picture of these actually still attached to a trunk?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread