How Deep Are Your Finds?

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi all. Just curious. How deep should one expect a Revolutionary War find to be?

For a few weekends now I have been searching a couple areas that have history back to the mid-late 1700's (Ohio - Bouquet's expedition and McIntosh's expedition). I have limited my searches to eroded banks, eroded trails, and nearby farmers' field. I mainly search these areas because I'm thinking something that old is going to be beyond the field of my little detector. I did manage to dig an unfired rifle ball about 4" deep along an old trail and am excited about that.

Recently, I have come across a map that shows an encampment of McIntosh's on a hill. What's nice is this hill is located on a public hunting site (as are my other searching places). But, I'm thinking anything out there is going to be pretty deep since it's all woods. So I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble to dig through all the bullet casings and stuff. Could a RW artifact be within reach of my little ace 250 in the woods? I know I need an upgraded machine, but so far this little guy has been pretty well to me.

Anyway. How deep are the goodies your digging up and BTW could anyone recommend a good relic hunting machine?

-Swartzie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Swartzie

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I realize it depends on this and that and I do realize some finds will be close to surface and others way deep.
But, how deep were your RW finds?

-Swartzie

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
I found a K.G. copper under leaf cover under a wild shrub. You never know.

RelicRick

Aug 29, 2006
Jockey Hollow
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Morning!

I've found close to a dozen items from that time period and the deepest was about 5-6 inches. My general understanding is the frost level in your area is usually a pretty good indicator. I hope this helps.

Goalrush

OP
OP
Swartzie

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Goalrush said:
Good Morning!

I've found close to a dozen items from that time period and the deepest was about 5-6 inches. My general understanding is the frost level in your area is usually a pretty good indicator. I hope this helps.

Goalrush

Indeed it does help. Thank you very much.
-Swartzie

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
found several minie balls and a continental uniform button at between 10-11 inches with minelab ex2 in softer black dirt in wooded area of speedwell ironworks properties....sounded as if i was on a 50 cent piece at ground level.........g

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I just recently found a dropped Spanish musket ball from 1781 only 3" below the surface in an old vacant lot. The ground where I found it is pretty level so there wouldn't have been much erosion to speak of over the years. I should point out that the soil is predominantly a sandy/organic mix.

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
PcolaBoy said:
I just recently found a dropped Spanish musket ball from 1781 only 3" below the surface in an old vacant lot. The ground where I found it is pretty level so there wouldn't have been much erosion to speak of over the years. I should point out that the soil is predominantly a sandy/organic mix.
I'm curious , How do you date a musket ball to exactly 1781.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
HCW said:
PcolaBoy said:
I'm curious , How do you date a musket ball to exactly 1781.

It was found during a hunt on private property that was on one of the many encampment sites of the army led by Bernardo de Galvez against the British in Pensacola, FL during the spring of 1781. The ball is a .66 caliber that was most likely used in French Charleville musket. Many of the Spanish and 'Luisianna' regiments taking part in the siege were armed with these rifles.

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
I've found a half dozen lead round balls over the years in Key West parks and yards. No way to tell the year for these but they were all very deep. None was above 8 inches or so. I can't really recall exact depths but I seem to remember they were near the limit of my detector at the time. Heavy stuff like lead sinks fast and deep in KW coral soil.

OT

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug many rev war items, and depths have varied greatly.

I have found buttons and buckles literally right under the leaves on the surface in the woods.

I have also had buttons at 12"

Cannonballs from 2'

It varies greatly. I guess in your case, yes and ace 250 is capable of finding rev war relics if you get on the right site.

lacey333

Oct 7, 2010
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300, 12" coil, Whites Beach Hunter ID 300
A great relic and all around machine is the whites dfx 300 with the 12" spider coil. A lot of people dislike it because you have a lot to learn with it but once you know this machine it will run very deep for you and you can tune it to do whatever you want! The best place to buy one is

Kellyco.com

HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions