Revolutionary War Musket ball was found!

On April 27th 2011 me and my brother were metal detecting In Belleville nj Park, where Mill St intersects with Park Drive, the Battle of Second River, September 1777. The Battle occurred on September 27 near the junction of Second River and the Passaic River. This is now the Belleville - Newark Border.

What you guys think? Is it real???

Attachments

• bvfgnbgf.jpg
    bvfgnbgf.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 772
  • Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 1,254
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 1,266
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 1,226
  • Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,239
  • Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 1,283
  • muskit ballls.png
    muskit ballls.png
    55.4 KB · Views: 779
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Revolutionary War Relics said:

On April 27th 2011 me and my brother were metal detecting In Belleville nj Park, where Mill St intersects with Park Drive, the Battle of Second River, September 1777. The Battle occurred on September 27 near the junction of Second River and the Passaic River. This is now the Belleville - Newark Border.

Sure looks right to me. Found one on Battle Hill, here in White Plains, NY. It will crumble to dust unless you take steps to conserve it. Contact your local historical society asap! - Terry

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't look like lead to me. :icon_scratch: Looks like iron.

Last edited:

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher
Musket balls are common here in NJ. I found more than 2 dozen in the New Brunswick area, troops were here. The lead is still very solid, but all are covered with a white film from being in the ground a long time.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Revolutionary War Relics said:

That's like no musket ball that I have ever seen.

jerseysnapper

Jan 6, 2013
South Plainfield, NJ
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello All,
I am looking for sites in NJ. I see that new brunswick was a good site. Where was that in NB? I live in South Plainfield. ALso, if anyone want to hook and do some exploring, im up for that.
Brian

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
I agree that that looks more like iron (try testing if it's magnetic)... but it can still be a good piece. It may be a piece of iron grapeshot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread