NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found these 2 musket balls in my backyard in very close proximity. They are about the width of a dime, maybe slightly more. One of the pics below shows them with my other finds to provide some scale. Is there any way to approximate the date on these? I know the British camped overnight and marched directly through my area just before the Battle of Monmouth (NJ). Thanks for any info you can provide.

musket balls.JPG SmallCent_best finds.JPG

Attachments

• musket balls.JPG
    musket balls.JPG
    577.9 KB · Views: 10,214
Upvote 0

rovnrbl53

Sep 29, 2011
Colonial Musket Balls

Nice finds. You might want to check those "musket" balls with a magnet. They look iron to me. I would guess shot placed inside a cannonball if they are Rev War. Musket balls are generally made from lead which is dark gray or it turns white (oxidizes) with age. You might do some more research and see if any battle or skirmish activity occurred in your area.

Found these 2 musket balls in my backyard in very close proximity. They are about the width of a dime, maybe slightly more. One of the pics below shows them with my other finds to provide some scale. Is there any way to approximate the date on these? I know the British camped overnight and marched directly through my area just before the Battle of Monmouth (NJ). Thanks for any info you can provide.

View attachment 637424 View attachment 637425 [/QUOTE]

OP
OP
NJLargeCent

NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, rovnrbl53. I appreciate the info. :notworthy:

JWT70

May 26, 2012
I agree that they look like iron, not lead.
Posted you a pic of some that I found.
ForumRunner_20120528_235412.png

OP
OP
NJLargeCent

NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, JWT70, for the visual lesson. I'll be on the lookout for the lead variety.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread