Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Jul 2003
    Elgin
    Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
    38 times

Chicago area find

Found this Sunday and it's got my quizzing senses all perturbed. Looks like a pewter button, about 20 mm diameter and maybe 1-2 mm thick. It appears at first glance to be some kind of man at arms with a standard in one hand and a musket at his other side. A closer look seems that it may be a man with a standard and a woman kneeling beside him. Block letters along the bottom of the figure are either RNO or RNC.

Found at a homesite in a strata that also contained a beer bottle I can date to 1868-1872, though the bottle was a total crier. I got one PM that said it was likely Revolutionary War era from Mass. This area was originally settled by New Yorkers and Pennsylvanians back in the 1830's, for the most part after the Indian Boundary buyout in the early 1830's. While we have a few old graves of Rev War vets and War of 1812 vets out here in the hinterlands of Chicago, they are fairly scarce. But then of course it would only take one to drop an old button long ago in what would become the path of my coil last Sunday.

I just can't find any definitive source or attribution and those block letters would seem out of place from what I have seen of those older buttons. Thanks in advance for any ideas or directions!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RNO button.JPG 
Views:	201 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	642890Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RNO button CU.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	642891

Dec 2004
    East Central Kentucky
    237 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowbatts View Post
    Found this Sunday and it's got my quizzing senses all perturbed. Looks like a pewter button, about 20 mm diameter and maybe 1-2 mm thick. It appears at first glance to be some kind of man at arms with a standard in one hand and a musket at his other side. A closer look seems that it may be a man with a standard and a woman kneeling beside him. Block letters along the bottom of the figure are either RNO or RNC.

Found at a homesite in a strata that also contained a beer bottle I can date to 1868-1872, though the bottle was a total crier. I got one PM that said it was likely Revolutionary War era from Mass. This area was originally settled by New Yorkers and Pennsylvanians back in the 1830's, for the most part after the Indian Boundary buyout in the early 1830's. While we have a few old graves of Rev War vets and War of 1812 vets out here in the hinterlands of Chicago, they are fairly scarce. But then of course it would only take one to drop an old button long ago in what would become the path of my coil last Sunday.

I just can't find any definitive source or attribution and those block letters would seem out of place from what I have seen of those older buttons. Thanks in advance for any ideas or directions!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RNO button.JPG 
Views:	201 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	642890Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RNO button CU.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	642891
    Interesting! The letters appear to my eyes as BNO and it looks like the figure is holding a flag in his right hand.....kinda agree with the possibility of a women kneeling beside a man.....keep looking...this can't be the only one ever found....

us
    Jul 2003
    Elgin
    Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
    38 times
    Given my eyesight and inexperience with old pewter, yeah, could be BNO or BNC as well. Not sure if any of those combinations of letters have any remarkable history behind them. Thanks for looking!

Dec 2004
    East Central Kentucky
    237 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowbatts View Post
    Given my eyesight and inexperience with old pewter, yeah, could be BNO or BNC as well. Not sure if any of those combinations of letters have any remarkable history behind them. Thanks for looking!

Have you given an thought to the object that appears in front of the figure(s)? Looks like a tree stump or log of some sort. This one is interesting.....thanks for posting it.

Jul 2012
    northwest Indiana
    bounty hunter 101/505 ace 350
    30 times
    Metal Detecting
    Possibly change your thinking.? I get the idea that it is like an indian with the tribal spear in left hand and rifle in right hand As for the neeling woman I can see her but cant guess. BNO Blackhawk nation? ,I dont know just guessing. cool find good luck researching

us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    790 times
    You might post this in the what is it section. More traffic there.

Jul 2012
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    The war of 1812 was pretty good in Chicago. They had that huge fort that the indians attacked. And i know there was i french fort in one of those cook county forest preserves.

Jun 2006
    connecticut
    80 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    whats the reverse look like any remanents of a shank to the back of the button
    best finds- George Washington Inaugural Button
    early Militia hat plate 1814 - 1825
    6 colonial copper spill (4-1787 fugios , 1774 machin mills , 1788 new jersey)

Mar 2008
    Why dont you press some play doh or similar putty into it for an impression? It may give you a clearer picture.

May 2012
    4342 times
    I enhanced the photo. Looks like a flag on the left side and a musket on the right.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120911_174753-enhanced.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  20.7 KB
    Last edited by GatorBoy; Sep 11, 2012 at 06:01 PM.

us
    Jan 2011
    Dalton,Ga.
    Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
    448 times
    Strange But Cool.......Still looking.............HH

If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."
    -Samuel Adams-

May 2012
    4342 times
    Haha...cool

us
    Jan 2011
    Dalton,Ga.
    Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
    448 times
    Post it in the whats it forum, one of those guy's will know....................HH

If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."
    -Samuel Adams-

Sponsors