🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know this forum is for Revolution but there's no War of 1812 forum (is there?) so I'd like to ask your help since the time period is close. been hunting an eastern Virginia spot where a documented skirmish occurred in 1814. British ship sent some sailors inland and they briefly clashed with some Virginia Militia. I have hoped for something definitive but these finds aren't. Or are they? That's what I want to know: would you consider these to be war-related relics from that period? Obviously the flintlock hammer, the 1801 large sent, and the quarter of the Spanish(?) coin dated 17?? are generally right chronologically but does anything else jump out at you? Are these buttons (with the face designs) what I've heard of as "Hessian buttons?" All the buttons photographed from the BACK are plain front, flat buttons. several "ball buttons" too. I'm curious about the iron. The large "tent-peg" looking things and the rest. In one photo there's a modern breech-loading shotgun piece, and a strap hinge, but anybody have a clue what the weird shaped thing in that pic is? And if you can positively identify anything else, boy would I appreciate it . . . I will also post in the "What is it?" forum, but I wanted expert opinions about the LOT of stuff.

IMG_2347.JPG IMG_2331.JPG IMG_2332.JPG IMG_2333.JPG IMG_2336.JPG IMG_2337.JPG IMG_2338.JPG IMG_2339.JPG IMG_2340.JPG IMG_2341.JPG IMG_2345.JPG IMG_2346.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Especially bottom 2 photos. Left is size of a quarter - cat-face? Small lock escutcheon? What are the three things in bottom right photo?

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice finds congrats happy hunting

TRice

Nov 19, 2012
Southside VA
Detector(s) used
1266xb, T2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You may be onto a good site. What's the cal. of the larger lead balls. In the photo on the left is there a star on the button above the quarter? Maybe the photo but in the same photo at the 4 o'clock position - is there something on that one? The iron object you're holding looks like a broken adz. What is the object in the center of the bottom right photo. Keep huntin' that site, nice stuff!

OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Trice - the larger lead balls are .69 cal. Nah, no star. The button looks pewter, and it has a stylized design roughly in the SHAPE of a star, but not a military star. Good eye on the 4 o'clock position, but that's a button BACK. Bent, shank missing. It looks like olive branch, leaves & vine, something like that. But that's the back. Where the shank was is easily seen up close. Thanks for the adz opinion. You are probably spot on. In the pic with flintlock hammer, the broken button in the 6 o'clock position also looks pewter, and it has scalloped edge and a flower in the center. I think the thing under the hammer is a trigger, but it's brass. Thought that was maybe cause to think not a trigger. In photo four was the biggest surprise. That's a Chinese coin (With the square hole). Wonder how it got to Virginia? Would LOVE to find something "no-question" military. Maybe this spring . . . thanks for the comments and HH.

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uneducated guess here, but in bottom right, the threaded thing looks as if it was to be anchored into wood and it resembles a sling stud. I have them in my modern rifles, just not sure if they were used back then. Nice finds from that spot!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DUDE..I'm not really the Guy to get all your answers from..but I hope he shows up soon! You've done awesome with what you have there.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gator,

Great collection of finds. In your first photo, the screw object is a lock screw to a flintlock hammer that holds the flint in the jaw. The other metel piece is the trigger assembly, and would have been found close to the lock screw, Keep up the good work.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your top, center photo also contains the remains of the hammer itself. It's the part with the square hole. HH

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like colonial relics to me. it is hard to say who was there because allot of times southern troops in the civil war took hand me downs and whatever they had 2 war.But my first impression would be some militia.Whatever kind of site your diggin,slow down and take your time.Even when ya think its all gone,keep lookin "good luck man.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread