• image-2566087678.jpg
    image-2566087678.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 203
Upvote 0

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
Cool finds. I've found a few similar pieces but always suspect they're (possibly fairly modern) handmade fishing sinkers. Do you know a way to tell the difference?

Upstate Rich

May 24, 2013
Upstate
Detector(s) used
Minelab products,Ex2,Ex Se pro,Coil-Tek coils,Sunray Coils,white's Eagle Spectrum,Bounty Hunter,Bucket and shovel
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do think those are Bannerstones or also known as net sinkers......are the bigger ones stone or iron or lead?....
if thier stone then thier American Indian ,lots round near me,but the smaller one could be a part of a necklace from those old days/./////

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do think those are Bannerstones or also known as net sinkers......are the bigger ones stone or iron or lead?....
if thier stone then thier American Indian ,lots round near me,but the smaller one could be a part of a necklace from those old days/./////

Interesting piece.
I just want to clarify .. a bannerstone is a counterweight for an atlatl ..an early spear throwing device and look nothing like this.
The items that are "also known as sinkers" are plummets.
If that piece is indeed "trade lead" I suspect it would be a weight of some kind..possibly as part of a thread spinning loom.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice Finds ! I call them fishing sinkers / fishing weights

I like your name for them Better though :icon_thumright:

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Interesting piece.
I just want to clarify .. a bannerstone is a counterweight for an atlatl ..an early spear throwing device and look nothing like this.
The items that are "also known as sinkers" are plummets.
If that piece is indeed "trade lead" I suspect it would be a weight of some kind..possibly as part of a thread spinning loom.

First time I've ever strayed from the Native American area of T-net. You guys have some cool stuff. Gator you know that I have been reading as much info on banner stones as I can find lately. You know why as well. Lol! It's sort of an mystery what they were used for. Not my style to call you out or call you wrong, but I don't think you should say the purpose of banner stones, especially out of the NA forum, with such certainty. I have read many credible theories as of late on banners. The atlatl weight is my favorite theory, just as you said. However, proving it has been researched but never concluded for years on end. I can say lead would not be used for a banner stone." Stone" is a key word in why lead would not be used. Cool lead though. The piece here is probably a home made sinker, used for fishing deep. Just my guess. Cool find!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have been found in burials in situ. In direct relation to and in line with handles and atlatl hooks with the same diameter holes and traces of asphaltum that was used as adhesive still on them.
Read some Archaeological reports on them from places where the preservation was exceptional.
Some Florida sites come to mind.
As far as where I speak... come on man.. your first trip out of the forum and you suggest where and what should be said.
Look up the Indian knoll site in Kentucky ..that's a good one.
Don't get me wrong I think it's cool you just started reading about these... but I didn't just start.

Last edited:

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find Iroquois net sinkers very frequently here in NY. like these> download.jpg

I do agree that the shape resembles some bannerstones, but a piece of malleable lead could have countless uses.
Maybe these could've been some sort of bolo blades! Those would've been a great bird hunting tool!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are nice.. I will post some from south Florida later.
They are made exactly like that from hard sandstone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread