71 foot

travelerga

Sep 22, 2013
Silkhope Ga
Detector(s) used
(currently, Lobo & AT Pro) whites 6DB, 6000, Fisher 5 zx, Tesoro Bandito micromax,Sand Shark, Tejon. Garret GT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this piece in my front yard about 10 inches down, I was using my Lobo. Looked for the broken part but did not find it. this would have been lost around 1778, during the siege of Savannah.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    488.9 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's very cool, do you know what its part of?

OP
OP
T

travelerga

Sep 22, 2013
Silkhope Ga
Detector(s) used
(currently, Lobo & AT Pro) whites 6DB, 6000, Fisher 5 zx, Tesoro Bandito micromax,Sand Shark, Tejon. Garret GT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I have not found out what it goes on. it had 4 small hooks on the back when it was a whole piece.

OP
OP
T

travelerga

Sep 22, 2013
Silkhope Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found out what it is. It is the tip of a sword belt. Since there seems to be no silver or gold on it, it was from an enlisted man, not an officer or NCO.

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was just going to post this and then read to the bottom.

Great find! One that's still on my wish list! Any other finds from the Rev War?

I found out what it is. It is the tip of a sword belt. Since there seems to be no silver or gold on it, it was from an enlisted man, not an officer or NCO.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very cool find, too bad you didn't find the whole thing. Still very nice though!

Steve

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
71st Regt of Foot Sword belt tip

Found this piece in my front yard about 10 inches down, I was using my Lobo. Looked for the broken part but did not find it. this would have been lost around 1778, during the siege of Savannah
This is indeed a brass or bronze belt tip of the 71st Frasier's Highlanders that took part in the Battle of Savannah. It is an inlistedman's type. I have a vest button found at that site as well. Most are broken like this one . Complete examples can be worth 4 figures. This one $300-$500 depending on damage.. If planning on selling please let me know. Great find and congrats.

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry I am new to TN so not sure if I make comments correctly or not. My first comments are above. Anyway I am a relic hunter now going on over 20 years and have found two of these belt tips. They were used to keep the leather from fraying on the end of a sword belt and most often found in fragments like this. Most likely the other section was still on the belt after this one came of and doubt is close to were you found this. Value wise intact ones even with one tab remaining can command 4 figures and fragments like this $300 to $500 . Enlisteman's type brass or bronze. I read TNs rules and did not reads where I could ask if for sale or not. I do collect Rev War buttons and his this unit in a primo officer's vest size. Would complement it if interested in putting it on the market. I am sure other users will tell me if cosure or not to ask. Great find and congrats. Gary [email protected]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread