unclefester

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2012
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro / Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It has been suggested to me by a respected hunter/collector that the attached button could be only the 2nd known to exist. I'm not suggesting that it is because I simply don't know. I've never been able to find any info on it. That being said, this is the message that was forwarded to me by the aforementioned ... " In Don Troiani and James Kockhan's excellent book "Insignia of Independence", there is a button pictured almost identical to yours. It is listed as the only known specimen so you may have a very rare button. " I've always believed it to be Rev war ... or earlier (1750's - 1760's) Any input is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance :)

Attachments

• 34th alone pic.jpg
    34th alone pic.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 208
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks more like the type mentioned in the previous section as it does not have the large number, and would be "less large" if it wasn't for the edge loss. And even if it was the same, or different and a first, you'd probably be surprised at the little excitement collectors would have for it for various reasons. It's still a great detecting find, but I don't think you're going to be able to get into it any deeper to make it something extraordinary, or anything close to that.

OP
OP
U

unclefester

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2012
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro / Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks more like the type mentioned in the previous section as it does not have the large number, and would be "less large" if it wasn't for the edge loss. And even if it was the same, or different and a first, you'd probably be surprised at the little excitement collectors would have for it for various reasons. It's still a great detecting find, but I don't think you're going to be able to get into it any deeper to make it something extraordinary, or anything close to that.

A response from somebody like yourself was what I was hoping for :) Thank you. And no, I wasn't holding out hope for anything grandiose or the like. I've just always been stumped by it. Any 34th button pic I've ever been able to locate seemed to have a thistle thread or something similar on the outer edge of the face, depending on the country of origin. I'm very much leaning towards it being a British pre-Rev war button, given it's simple and crude nature. Many thanks for your response :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A response from somebody like yourself was what I was hoping for :) Thank you. And no, I wasn't holding out hope for anything grandiose or the like. I've just always been stumped by it. Any 34th button pic I've ever been able to locate seemed to have a thistle thread or something similar on the outer edge of the face, depending on the country of origin. I'm very much leaning towards it being a British pre-Rev war button, given it's simple and crude nature. Many thanks for your response :)

There's really no such thing as a pre Rev War numbered button because they didn't start marking them until the 1760s, and even those are considered Rev War because it's what they were wearing.... they're just the early/1st issues in some cases. With the edge loss on your button it seems impossible to say if it had the design around the border, but there is still new stuff being discovered so you never know. That said, when there's a factor that creates a block to give a definitive answer, you have to go with what makes the most sense, and not speculation.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS: The only situation where I'd actually label a button as pre war is when the regt. was stationed at the find location before the war. This has happened fairly recently with the pewter regt. buttons from NS. The unit was there in the late 1760s or early 1770s, and did not return after the war.... so you can't technically call those finds Rev War buttons even though we do because they are the same that were used.

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It has been suggested to me by a respected hunter/collector that the attached button could be only the 2nd known to exist. I'm not suggesting that it is because I simply don't know. I've never been able to find any info on it. That being said, this is the message that was forwarded to me by the aforementioned ... " In Don Troiani and James Kockhan's excellent book "Insignia of Independence", there is a button pictured almost identical to yours. It is listed as the only known specimen so you may have a very rare button. " I've always believed it to be Rev war ... or earlier (1750's - 1760's) Any input is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance :)

Yours is indeed a 34th Regt of Foot button but not the rare one listed in Troiani's book as that is a 17mm example found in Ft Ti. The reason it is not is in the forming of the top left of the 3. It does not come down to an angle like yours does. Yes I know it sounds picky but there were many styles of the 34th since not all were made by one button maker or die. The answer lies in the size of your button and with edge loss that is hard to say. If your is slightly domed and the tip of the 4 almost touches the 3 then it is a coat size circa probably with a leaf border. 1776-1786. Hope that helps. Gary

Last edited:

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yours is indeed a 34th Regt of Foot button but not the rare one listed in Troiani's book as that is a 17mm example found in Ft Ti. The reason it is not is in the forming of the top left of the 3. It does not come down to an angle like yours does. Yes I know it sounds picky but there were many styles of the 34th since not all were made by one button maker or die. The answer lies in the size of your button and with edge loss that is hard to say. If your is slightly domed and the tip of the 4 almost touches the 3 then it is a coat size circa probably with a leaf border. 1776-1786. Hope that helps. Gary

Here are the 34ths from Troiani's book. I don't think he will mind if I send them. Yours is indeed the 2nd pattern 1776-1786. If yours is larger than 17mm(dime) then it is probably a coat one. Also notice on m the 3 almost touches the rim and yours does not meaning it is not that variety. The Brits did not have numbered buttons until 1768. Scan0372.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread