Cannon Ball Identification Please

mollyk927

Apr 23, 2015
eastern shore of virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased this cannon ball back in the late 80's in a small antique shop in Cape Charles, VA--not because I am a history buff, but rather as a gift for my stepfather's birthday (his last name was Cannon).

At the time, I was told it was from the Revolutionary War (and, at the time, I was more interested in it as a gift rather than a piece of history, and didn't press for details). It has come back to me as an inheritance, and I decided to research it a bit--possibly with the intent to sell. This cannon ball has taught me more history than I ever cared to learn in school, and in that regard is worth its weight in gold... the things I never knew!

It was during this research that I stumbled across Treasure.net and learned that The Cannon Ball Guy is the one who may answer my questions: is it really a cannon ball (and not a ball used for crushing ore or some such), and if so, is it really from the Revolutionary War? In trying to identify it myself, I learned that its weight and diameter are paramount to identification (and also that the bathroom scale just isn't accurate enough), so I hauled it over to the Post Office where the clerk kindly weighed it for me. It weighs exactly 31 pounds, 12 ounces. As for the diameter, I've only used a cloth tape (not wanting to go out and purchase a special tape measure that I will likely only use once in my life), and measured the circumference to 19.75", which the handy-dandy online diameter calculator says is 6.28663". These are not the exact measurements I have seen in the military ordinances, and so am left wondering. 100_2694.JPG 100_2720.JPG

I'll appreciate any insight or information anyone may have!

Attachments

• 100_2697.JPG
    100_2697.JPG
    948 KB · Views: 836
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We will keep bumping this thread until the cannon ball man shows up. You may also personal message him. He gets busy with his historical work. Also welcome to T-net.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I received a T-Net Private Message from Mollyk927. I missed seeing her "Cannon Ball Identification: request post back in April... and nobody told me about it until today. (I watch the What-Is-It? forum for relic ID requests, not the Revolutionary War forum.)

Mollyk, here's a belated "Welcome to TreasureNet" :) ... and here is the information you've requested in the post and in your PM.

The ball is within both the size (diameter) range and weight range to be a 32-Pounder caliber Solid Shot cannonball. (As the term "solid" implies, it is not a hollow explosive ball/shell.) That size was in use from the Colonial Era through the Civil War era, so it could be from either era. If the seller was telling the truth about it having been found in the Cape Charles VA vicinity, it is far more likely to be a RevWar cannonball than a Civil War one. I recognize the particular type of "scaling" rust-corrosion showing on its surface, which indicates it was dug out of "coastal" soil, so I tend to believe the Cape Charles story.

The scaling corrosion showing through the black paint also proves that painting rusty iron does not stop the corrosion from continuing. I prefer using an oxygen-proof-&-water-proof sealant such as Polyurethane.

You can rest assured that it really is a Solid Shot, not a (hollow) explosive shell. Its diameter-versus-weight ratio proves it is solid. Check the weight of a 32-Pounder Solid and a 32-Pounder shell here:
Cannon bore, shot, and shell diameters for smoothbore guns

The reason your ball's size and weight vary slightly from the official specifications:
It has lost a little weight due to corrosion.
Its original size is slightly increased by some rust-&-dirt-concretion on its surface.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mollyk927

Apr 23, 2015
eastern shore of virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, I'd like to thank you for so freely sharing your time and expertise, sir; I am honored. Also, I'd like to thank everyone for so warmly welcoming me to T-net...I love this site!

That you put to rest my fear that the cannon ball is explosive is such a relief (I recently read an article about a gentleman who was killed while working on a Civil War cannon ball, and it planted the notion in my head that I might have a time bomb on my hands--this after it had sat for years on my parents' hearth, and then rolled about in the trunk of my car for a week or two...)!

Again, thank you so very much!!

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
32lb Carronade cannonball from revolutionary war sea battles!

I purchased this cannon ball back in the late 80's in a small antique shop in Cape Charles, VA--not because I am a history buff, but rather as a gift for my stepfather's birthday (his last name was Cannon).

At the time, I was told it was from the Revolutionary War (and, at the time, I was more interested in it as a gift rather than a piece of history, and didn't press for details). It has come back to me as an inheritance, and I decided to research it a bit--possibly with the intent to sell. This cannon ball has taught me more history than I ever cared to learn in school, and in that regard is worth its weight in gold... the things I never knew!

It was during this research that I stumbled across Treasure.net and learned that The Cannon Ball Guy is the one who may answer my questions: is it really a cannon ball (and not a ball used for crushing ore or some such), and if so, is it really from the Revolutionary War? In trying to identify it myself, I learned that its weight and diameter are paramount to identification (and also that the bathroom scale just isn't accurate enough), so I hauled it over to the Post Office where the clerk kindly weighed it for me. It weighs exactly 31 pounds, 12 ounces. As for the diameter, I've only used a cloth tape (not wanting to go out and purchase a special tape measure that I will likely only use once in my life), and measured the circumference to 19.75", which the handy-dandy online diameter calculator says is 6.28663". These are not the exact measurements I have seen in the military ordinances, and so am left wondering. View attachment 1154343 View attachment 1154344

I'll appreciate any insight or information anyone may have!

Hi, Im new to this site, but im a lover of history and antiques. You have a 32lb. solid (due to weight) Carronade cannonball, and Im extremely excited for you! This is a type of cannonball used by the British navy during the American Revolution!!!! The location, and dates used also add validity to this conclusion! Battle of the Chesapeake, also called the Battle of the Virginia Capes or the Battle of the Capes, (5 September 1781), critical naval battle in the Chesapeake Bay (off the coast of Maryland and Virginia) and stragegic French victory in the American Revolution. It prevented the British from reinforcing or evacuating the army of Charles Cornwallis the following month at the Siege of Yorktown, Virginia, the last major land battle of the war and the defeat that led the British to sue for peace. A carronade ( called Cannonade by soldiers/ sailors) is a short, smoothbore, cast-iron cannon which was used by the Royal Navy and first produced by the Carron Company, an ironworks in Falkirk, Scotland.The carronade was designed as a short-range naval weapon with a low muzzle velocity for merchant ships, but it also found a niche role on warships, HMS ships of the line. It was used from the 1770s to the 1850s. Its main function was to serve as a powerful, short-range, anti-ship and anti-crew weapon.[1] Carronades were initially found to be very successful, but they eventually disappeared as naval artillery advanced, with the introduction of rifling and consequent change in the shape of the projectile, exploding shells replacing solid shot, and naval engagements being fought at longer ranges. wikipedia carronade-----I also searched battles and the source is Britanica..there are several paintings of the sea battle of the capes/ battle of the Chesapeake Virgina

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why I love this site we learn so much and many wise and good people on here. Welcome to tnet great post and info Awesome

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A Big Welcome to You to the Tnet forum from Georgia, and Congrat's to you on getting the cannon ball ID'd. Well Done to Cannonball guy once again for his help, knowlege, and sharing in order to help with this ID. That is a nice piece of History there.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome marthasfriend2 from Bawl-tee-more Marylyn. Thanks for sharing this published information of the Revolutionary War on this old thread. Very interesting stuff.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the warm welcome! I found this site while searching for information on an antique Taunton silver Cannonball tea pot from Mass. that I purchased in the 1980s. Ill start a new thread as soon as I figure out how to accomplish that. Best Regards to all!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread